• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

winch question

digglesworth

So I'm not the most familiar with winches and I have a question. I have a smittybilt x2o 10k... It's wired to the front terminals of my odyssey battery. I spooled up the synthetic line under load the first time like the instructions said... I ran the last 10' or so in by just holding the hook. I clipped it to the front tow hook and called it good. I noticed that over a little bit of time, the cable seems to be tightening somehow. I I have to push the out button on the remote to release the tension so I can engage the free spool lever and pull a few feet out. I spool it in and clip the hook back on so it's not super tight. But again, it's tight again. Am I supposed to keep it in the engaged position or free spool position when not in use? Any ideas as to why it's tightening up on it's own? Could it be the surge of power through the battery every time I start the truck?

Happy Hummer

I thought the winch was supposed to be wired to top post?
The creeping sounds like motor is moving independent or brake is tightening because of road vibrations.
Jmho

Chris

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
..the side connections on the Odyssey are only decorative? Damn, have had and run my winch off those side terminals for a while now. They work fine for me...but what do I know?

Diggs, I haven't had this issue with my winch since I'v had it. I keep mine in the engaged position.

Best4x4

Depends on the Battery.

Optima = Top Post, Odyssey/Die Hard Platinum = should be able to use either Top/Bottom Post.

poncho1965

I read the side connections were not up to the high amp draw of a winch. But if it works ? Diggs, I keep my synthetic rope spooled in and covered, disengaged. Don't think the sun is very good for it. Not sure why it would be spooling in on its own.

Mike

digglesworth

The winch worked fine on those terminals when I first spooled the line on. I pulled my truck up an incline while using a Chevy truck as an anchor. I'm sure I didn't get the amperage up as high as a really hard pull. I have a cover but when I put it on, my truck runs 10-12 degrees warmer. So I took it off. Maybe I'll try keeping it in free spool position.

digglesworth

ordered a winch line cover from eclipse off-road.... doesnt answer my original question but will certainly help with uv degradation. thanks again f5... i had no idea these things even existed

Best4x4

From all the research and reviews I ever read on the Odyssey and Die Hard Platinum Batteries it doesn't matter which pole you use to connect your winch to. Some people had issues with the Thread in terminals stripping, but I never heard anything about it destroying the battery with a winch connected to the side post.

I know for a fact the Optima reviews all say that if you install a winch or high amp draw equipment to use the top post only.

I'd contact Odyssey to be 100% sure if you're that worried about it, but like I said from all the stuff I read it's okay on an Odyssey/Die Hard.

4speedfunk

The only guess I have is that the synth line is "shrinking", and tightening itself...perhaps because its new? Some synth line manufacturers tell you to pre-stretch the line when you first install it...pull out 80% of it...tie it to a solid object and give a good tug on it for a minute or two. Then you can re-spool it on the drum all nice & purdy. I periodically do this anyway because on the trail I'm sometimes in a hurry to get my line re-spooled, so I can get out of wherever I'm at. So when I get home after a hard day of winching (particularly if I get into a bunch of mud), I will pull the line out and power-wash it real good...let it dry...give it a stretch...and re-spool it. This prevents the small grains of dirt from getting trapped within the weave of the line and grinding away and weakening it.

FWIW...I have ran several synth lines over the years and I have never used any type of cover. Road salt, UV light, drum-heat, blah blah blah...not sure I believe all the net-stories of degradation. A synth line should be replaced every five years anyway, and any line you buy should last this long with near-zero maintenance. My current line is over-due for replacement. It is frayed, chafed, faded, and very well-worn. I have zero doubts that I could physically hang my 6000lb truck from it...possibly for another ten years! Don't let the appearance fool you, synth lines are very durable (even when they're ugly).

I always leave my clutch engaged when not in use. Leaving it in free spool is probably a bad idea...you could accidentally hook it on a stick or something and drag it out by mistake. I have no opinion on the battery post issue. Simply connect your winch to largest 12v source that you can. If you have top posts...use those. If not...use a side post. Either should work.

Highatop

I made a cover usin black duct tape. Warn wanted $20 for a plastic piece. It tucks in and have not lost it drivin. Also, maybe you put to much load on it...

digglesworth

I deal with a ton of UV warnings. Climbing gear, skydiving gear, etc... there's so much equipment out there that's made of nylon based materials. It's good stuff. Light, strong, durable... But it does have it's weaknesses... I got the line cover for $25. A drop in the bucket when it comes to my truck. :thumbs: