• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Time for an MPG update

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Messages
2,525
Location
Finger Lakes, NY
A local a gas station started caring ethanol free gas and I decided to fill up last week and compare gas mileage. All the gas stations in a 50 mile + radius only offer 10% ethanol blend (they actually did some testing in the Rochester area and found ethanol levels to be over twice that). I paid quite a bit more for the non ethanol ($4.00 a gallon :whaa:) but I call tell you gas mileage has improved. By how much? Can't say for sure yet but I can tell you I have gone more miles between fill ups then before and I still have a 1/4 tank left.
 

Can007

Well-Known Member
Messages
374
Location
Palmdale, CA
I would say, 18 to 19 hwy, am on the road a lot when I use it. Thank god for the good old Honda Civic HB 38 to 40 hwy
 

H3Hrly

Well-Known Member
Messages
50
Location
California
I get about 15-16mpg in my 08 Alpha; last tank was actually 16.01. I drive 60/40 hwy/city; with some moderate grades when going to work; going 65-70 mph. When I was in Colorado, I drove 45-50 mph to work and got close to 18mpg. I dropped to 14mpg when i got near 55K for quite some time and was stumped. Eventually looked at the air filter and realized it needed replacing. Put in a replacement (std) and went back to 15-16mpg. I'm getting curious now what gains will I see if I put in a K&N; and change my exhaust.
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
I'm barely hitting 13 nowadays. Did get 14 on one recent tank but I think I had a good tailwind for 100+ miles. Roof rack knocked off about 2 mpg.
 

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Messages
1,506
Location
Silverado
I got 12.19 on my way to Bishop, but I had the cruise set at 79 most of the way, the AC was on the hole way and I was going up hill.

On the way back we drove up to over 10,000 ft, cruised at 79 with AC on (+100F outside) and got 12.9.

315/75R16, Alpha, cat back exhaust, no PCM tune (yet).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
 
Last edited:

H32NV

Well-Known Member
Messages
322
Location
Golden, CO
315/75/16 - 13 HWY at 72 mph.
10-12 city.

Ive always thought my mileage was low in comparison.... no CEL tho... I do have the PCMforless tune...
 

Mr_Rich

Well-Known Member
Messages
666
Location
Yucaipa & Santa Maria
As much as I like the LS engines, I'm glad I have the I5 in my truck. I'm putting in a lot of road miles lately. I checked my log book and my off-road mileage typically drops to 13 mpg overall and I get 18-19 regularly on my runs up and down to Santa Barbara and back. Around town I mostly get around 15-16 mpg.
 

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Messages
6,561
Location
Arizona
As much as I like the LS engines, I'm glad I have the I5 in my truck. I'm putting in a lot of road miles lately. I checked my log book and my off-road mileage typically drops to 13 mpg overall and I get 18-19 regularly on my runs up and down to Santa Barbara and back. Around town I mostly get around 15-16 mpg.

That's what I get too.
 

H32NV

Well-Known Member
Messages
322
Location
Golden, CO
what tires are you guys running? no light bar's or roof racks? do you guys have the PCMforless tune?
 

H3Hrly

Well-Known Member
Messages
50
Location
California
I'm still on the original 33s (68K on them:woot:). I have Gobi Ranger rack on it, but I removed the fairing. No lights on top yet. nothing else on the truck. No PCMforless.
 

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Messages
6,561
Location
Arizona
Gobi stealth (no fairing), OEM roof mounted off-road lights, BA bumper w/winch & 33" Duratracs.
 

Savethereef

Well-Known Member
Messages
179
Location
Long beach ca
Hi new here.

2005 h2
Street 12.9
Highway 14.5 @70mph
As most current

Before I got my Flow master American thunder kit
Street 11.5 mpg
Highway 13 mpg @ 70mph
 

TAPDH3T

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,510
Location
Texarkana, Texas
Well I have 2009 H3T Alpha torqued 24" w/ 33" tires, 20x9 wheels, Airdoc, superchips performance setting, and roof rack...
Before the SC and AD I was getting about 275-285 mpt before the light came on... This is the result now...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344635799.943063.jpg
 
F

Former User

Guest
2008 h3 alpha, 305/70/16 bfg km2 (33.1x12.3?), h3t steelies, gobi stealth, superchips set on tow mode, magnaflow cat back system, 90% or more a tank depending the time i'm driving all city, i hate running the numbers but i'm generally about 14.5. I go around 275 miles a tank and fill up 19-20g. I also drive with a light foot. The gobi took away 1.5-2mpg, and i think the heavier steelies took a little away as well. Each steelie according to the gm part info weighs 29.87 lbs, each standard split spoke weighs 21.1 lbs.

Stock i was getting about 330 a tank if my memory serves me correct.
 

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Messages
3,718
Location
Indianapolis, IN
07 H2
cortex tune mileage xs save
13 mpg city
15.4 mpg highway @67-70

Originally got 10 around town, drastic difference IMO

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
 

Savethereef

Well-Known Member
Messages
179
Location
Long beach ca
Update on mine

Cruise control on highway @64mph I got 17.2mpg
I was shocked.
Crossed checked with my navi for distance against fuel burned too.
I guess I'm going to drive like a grandpa on long trips. Keeped The RPM under 2K too.
 
Top