• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

The HUMMER brand is on a comeback?!?!

USMC_315

Not sure if anyone has seen the slight rise of Hummers in the news lately, but Hummer sales are increasing significantly right now. Probably won't see much out of it, but it's still nice to see these [STRIKE]gentle[/STRIKE] giants aren't forgotten. If y'all want to see these articles from the past couple weeks just search up Hummer in Google news.

Also quick question: would you be interested in a reboot of the hummers, but as a different GM brand i.e. chevy, gmc?

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!! :)

Also if you watch closely, in a lot of current action/adventure movies and TV shows, you will see them use Hummers all the time!

High Five H2

I'd take an off road capable GMC or chevy... or pontiac or saturn or whatever, but I'd be REALLY happy if they brought back hummer. I have a feeling if it's an existing brand then it would just be a modified truck or something. Hummer trucks were barely recognizable compared to the platform they were based on. Plus the distinctive styling, blah blah.

Big2dabank

I too have visions of the day when the Hummer Brand makes a resurgence into the marketplace, but then I wake up and realize that it was only a dream. I fear that any modern capable GMC, Chevy, or even Jeep will be restricted by the current regulations, restrictions, and mileage requirements, which will ultimately handicap its abilities. Look at where Jeep may be headed in 2016. To drop weight on the Wrangler, looks like they may be going with IFS. The hard core Jeep crowd may not like this, and these changes will be tailored to the occasional off-roader, not the hard core crowd. Its impossible to predict the future, who knows Jeep or GM, maybe even Ford may do something drastic to revolutionize and push the envelope of OEM IFS, but I highly doubt it, the average person just does not use a 4x4 for anything more than mild occasional use. The few that do are in a very small minority.

08H3

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Hummer brand will probably just be an embarrassing foot note in automotive history. Of course, I own a Hummer so I'm allowed to say it. As much as we'd like to believe otherwise, we are a very very small subset of vehicle consumers. GM (or any company) has to build for the masses. People want transportation appliances in today's society, not cars. Bring on the hate. :)

skeptic

Also quick question: would you be interested in a reboot of the hummers, but as a different GM brand i.e. chevy, gmc?
Not only interested, but this would be my preferred option. I want the vehicle not the badge, and avoiding the Hummer brand would help keep the tree huggers at bay. I'd be perfectly fine with a new Tahoe upgraded to H2 offroad capability. That's what the haters always claimed anyway. While we are making wishes, add turbo diesel to the list.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Hummer brand will probably just be an embarrassing foot note in automotive history. Of course, I own a Hummer so I'm allowed to say it. As much as we'd like to believe otherwise, we are a very very small subset of vehicle consumers. GM (or any company) has to build for the masses. People want transportation appliances in today's society, not cars. Bring on the hate. :)

No flaming, no hate. My views exactly, only thing I would say is I don't believe it will be embarrassing; just a footnote for a vehicle that was destroyed by fuel prices, and the lies of the US Press....and idiot who believed what the press was spewing....

High Five H2

it surprises me how hard the media and environmentalists came down on Hummer but not land rover or the G wagen. I believe I read one guy who said that land rovers are actually used off road. I wanted to slap the guy, with a very large crescent wrench.

Diode Dynamics

LED Lighting Experts
How would you guys feel if Hummer came back with a low-displacement 4-cylinder turbo'd powerplant? lol

I miss the Hummer nameplate personally, I'd love to see a comeback

Nick C.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
When the news on ABC, CBS, NBC, started using the word Hummer to denote poor fuel mileage, the death was soon to follow. Although the H2's were not noted for great fuel mileage, my H3 was better than my 2003 2-door Jeep.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
I agree Doug. My 2 '86 I6 CJ7s got worse gas mileage than my 6k lb. 09 I5 H3T and 09 V8 H3! Go figure.

skeptic

Show me another 2003-2009 4wd SUV/truck on 35" tires that gets significantly better mpgs. You can include modified vehicles (I'm not aware of anything else that comes with 35s), diesel not included. Go!

High Five H2

The problem with the H2 isn't the fuel economy. plenty of other luxury vehicles do just as bad and they don't get any flak. Hummer's problem is that it's associated with the military, and that's something that the liberals don't like. So, just like most things the libs don't like, it's an emotional issue, not a real issue. It's not like the H2 was in everyone's driveway. Most people didn't want to drive it. It's too big and too wide. If they want a real MPG bad guy, they should have gone after the suburban. Everyone and their dog has one and it used to get horrible mileage. I had a 95 'burb for a while and it got 14 highway and 11 city. Oh well.

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
This topic comes up time and time again. Hummer won't make a comeback.

GM might put out a Wrangler fighter (long overdue!), but it won't be a Hummer. Hopefully a company will at least come up with a "Hummer" grille to replace the ugly GMC Denali one. ...But who even knows if this would happen. I've only read a couple articles about the possibility.

LagunaH1

I never *really* understood how come hardly any of the "haters" or the media gave a brand like Land Rover a hard time. Like Hummer, they are not gas friendly and the VAST majority of their vehicles are never, ever, off pavement. Land Rover does have some roots in military vehicles as far as I know. Oh well, no point in being rational about this. "Public opinion" is so very far from rational or sensible.

I love my Hummer, that I do know.

Best4x4

Yep Hummer is done. I doubt it will ever come back and if GM makes a capable 4x4 it won't have a Hummer badge/brand on it. I am extremely happy with both of my H3's and I'm proud to have two in my driveway (if had the $$$ I'd have another one sitting in it as well lol). I get sad when I think about Hummer not being around, but at the same time I also smile when I crank up my Alpha and take it for a drive knowing I'm in something rather rare and special. Sure you can get an AEV Conversion V8 JK, but Hummer took care of the V8 option right off the assembly line! One day our H3's will be collector cars especially the Alpha H3 & Alpha H3T.

Land Rover used to be awesome in the USA from 87 to 04. That's when a Rover was a Rover and the Range Rover & Discovery shared a lot of the serious hardware with their military based cousin the Series II/III/D90/D110/D130. The only difference was with the leather interior, carpet, electric windows, door locks, cruise control, and stereo. After Land Rover killed off the last of the truly military based rigs the Series II Discovery in 04 in the USA (Defender stopped being imported in 97), Land Rover went to unibody construction, different engines (BMW & Jaguar based), and they also went fully IFS with electronic computers for everything. Yes they're still good off road when everything works, but one sensor goes out and you'll be out of the game pretty fast.

I myself owned 5 Rover's and I loved them all. I never had one leave me stranded, and I honestly never got stuck. I also left all the wiring 100% original and if I added something I ran my own wires vs splicing into the OEM stuff for power. People always complained about the electronics, but then you'd look at their rig with an aftermarket alarm, stereo, and wires spliced into any and everything which to me is a recipe for disaster! I'd own a D90 in a heartbeat, but they're so rare they'll never be cheap here in the USA. Next up would be a Series I Discovery 95-99 with a GEMS 4.0. Good engine, center locking diff, good room for gear and plenty of aftermarket goodies from ARB, Safari Guard, and many others.

4speedfunk

GM isn't capable of making a notable 4x4...under any badge. Toyota or Jeep are probably the closest alternatives. Given the cost of modern offerings, and the lack of anything even remotely close to heavy-duty...a complete refit on an older 4x4 is the only way to go. If you are a competent mechanic and you got the time, you can get into something like this for half of what a new vehicle costs:

[video=youtube;W6bWP5ma2GM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6bWP5ma2GM[/video]

It probably gets 25 mpg...costs $200 to plate and insure...it rarely breaks down (and when it does you can fix it yourself). I'm so sticker-shocked by over-gagety late models, that I'm pretty sure I'll be going this route on my next vehicle.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Amen, rather add the crap I want to my vehicles then deal with overpriced bull**** that I dont even want. Its all cheap crap too. With the last 3 Yukon XLs my mom had they got worse each go around...

rsc

GM isn't capable of making a notable 4x4...under any badge. Toyota or Jeep are probably the closest alternatives. Given the cost of modern offerings, and the lack of anything even remotely close to heavy-duty...a complete refit on an older 4x4 is the only way to go. If you are a competent mechanic and you got the time, you can get into something like this for half of what a new vehicle costs:

[video=youtube;W6bWP5ma2GM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6bWP5ma2GM[/video]

It probably gets 25 mpg...costs $200 to plate and insure...it rarely breaks down (and when it does you can fix it yourself). I'm so sticker-shocked by over-gagety late models, that I'm pretty sure I'll be going this route on my next vehicle.
+1000! I wish we could get something like that.

Hunner

I don't care what they call it but similar to what it looks like now would be nice.

I have looked mine over pretty good and the only thing Hummer other than the aftermarket cross bar ends is this and it's not on there anymore.

I guess F5 would know but I cannot figure except for name recognition why it is a Hummer.

Seems they paid Hummer for the name, not something Hummer had anything to do with as far as building it?
I bought it as a GM product that filled my needs.

Oh well I got mine and so far can get parts from GM and some out sources.

Cyouincourt007

Pavement Prince
I agree with most of everything said here. What bothers me is the first thing out of people's mouth is o a hummer, must be terrible one gas. This coming from people driving pickup trucks, suburbans,escalades, yukons, older model 4 runners etc...then I laugh and tell them actually it's a 5 cylinder and my gas mpg is either the same or better than yours. This psychological brain washing that hummer is evil and the sole cause of global weather change is amazing. Even while watching a video about the oceans becoming acidic cause of co2 etc the guy says well people want to drive their hummers etc. I turned it off and said to myself so although hummer hasn't been around that long let's ignore the industrial revolution, other vehicles like my favorite the crown Vic and grandmaquis, overall years upon years of world fossil fuel burning for many things like electricity, what have you and go straight for the hummer attack. It just is simply ludicrous.Bring back the crown Vic, grandmaquis, Lincoln town car and hummer with newer technology flex fuel and the like and then we can all enjoy our big cars like we like them. sheesh, if people enjoy the Yaris like my mom or the Prius like my buddy great more power to them but what about us....o and you know my buddy said if I ever get rid of the h3 he wants it lol go figure.