• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

someone plz help me.cleaned my throttle body now im stuck

Messages
11
hi guys I cleaned my throttle body yesterday.put it back.now my idle is playing up.when I drive and pop it in neutral it revs to abour 2000rpm and wont drop till I come to a complete stop.ive tried everything I can think of.checked for vacume leaks. took the battery terminals off for a few hours.went for a 20k drive. took the throttle body cables off and waited a few mins and then plugged them in and started the car and let it idle for 10mins and it still has the same problem.could someone plz help me :-( thanks in advance
 

Hunner

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,334
Location
Arkansas
Did you get any throttle body cleaner in the MAF?

There is a separate cleaner for that.

Best not to touch that part.
 
Messages
11
scan tool shows no codes.my only concern is when I drive it and pop it from drive to neutral it sits at about 2000rpm.also seems that when in drive the revs might be dropping down abit slower when u back off the throttle and let it roll.any sugestions?
 
Messages
1,248
Location
New Jersey
Try taking out the air filter inside of the Volant air box, and see if it changes your RPMs, if it does, it could be a dirty air filter, because since you cleaned the throttle body, it might be more sensitive now, that or reset the codes, and see if something comes up, maybe it didn't read it as your battery was probably plugged in as you cleaned it, so it might have thrown the computer off to read the correct code for what is truly wrong
 
Messages
11
thanks renegade,the volant air filter is about 1 month old, there isn't any codes coming from the scan tool.alot of people have had the same issue from what I have read but theres have cleared up by taking the battery off over night so that's my next try :-(
 

Mr_Rich

Well-Known Member
Messages
666
Location
Yucaipa & Santa Maria
hi guys I cleaned my throttle body yesterday.put it back.now my idle is playing up.when I drive and pop it in neutral it revs to abour 2000rpm and wont drop till I come to a complete stop.ive tried everything I can think of.checked for vacume leaks. took the battery terminals off for a few hours.went for a 20k drive. took the throttle body cables off and waited a few mins and then plugged them in and started the car and let it idle for 10mins and it still has the same problem.could someone plz help me :-( thanks in advance

I wouldn't drive the vehicle in this condition. The throttle body has an integral throttle position sensor and when it starts failing it could put you in a very bad position on the highway. A code scanner won't give you the info you need in this case. You need a diagnostic tool to check the throttle position parameters and even then it might not tell you what you need. I had to replace my throttle body at about 80K due to intermittent failures. I knew how to work around the problem and was able to get the vehicle home. Most people would've been stranded on the highway. Don't let that happen to you. I'd much rather have a simple cable or lever operated throttle control than an electronic one, but it seems that modern vehicles won't be built that way any more.
 

Best4x4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,042
Location
Vidor, TX
If a throttle body is dirty enough and after you clean it the vehicle idles odd it's normally due to the PCM going by the old TPS settings in the PCM before the throttle body was cleaned. Relearn processes are different per vehicle but normally once the battery is disconnected it will take a complete drive cycle for it to idle properly.
 

derian06

Red Rockett
Messages
1,866
Location
Madison, AL
If a throttle body is dirty enough and after you clean it the vehicle idles odd it's normally due to the PCM going by the old TPS settings in the PCM before the throttle body was cleaned. Relearn processes are different per vehicle but normally once the battery is disconnected it will take a complete drive cycle for it to idle properly.

Yes, have you disconnected the battery for a day so that the PCM can reset?
 

Best4x4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,042
Location
Vidor, TX
I'll be installing a Jet Performance 76101 throttle body on my Alpha next week and it will have to relearn as well. When I first bought my Alpha I had a CEL P0121 and after cleaning the throttle body it went away but it had to do a drive cycle to idle properly. After that no more issues.
 
Messages
11
hi thanks for the replies.i took my battery leads off for 12hours.still has the same symptoms.from what people are saying I need to take it for a decent drive for everything to adjust.when I cleaned it I did it in a white container and the whole thing was black by the end so I would say yes it was pretty dirty.next step today is a long drive to see what happens.will update
 

Best4x4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,042
Location
Vidor, TX
It took my Alpha several days of driving to start idling normal after I cleaned it and reset the PCM. I had instructions on how to get the throttle body to do a relearn but I can't find them right now.
 

Best4x4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,042
Location
Vidor, TX
Will do, they were kinda odd, like turn on the key, don't start it, unplug TPS, turn off key, reconnect TPS, and then start it, and do a drive cycle. It had to default it to 0000 vs whatever the current settings were. I had found the info on the 355Nation two years ago.
 
Messages
11
Will do, they were kinda odd, like turn on the key, don't start it, unplug TPS, turn off key, reconnect TPS, and then start it, and do a drive cycle. It had to default it to 0000 vs whatever the current settings were. I had found the info on the 355Nation two years ago.

would love to give it a go when u find it :) I went for a long drive today 60k in total ( that's long for me lol) I would say the car drove better but still think it idles funny so I guess I have to a do a few more ks till it re learns
 
Messages
11
ok heres an update. I cleaned it with carby cleaner and thought that was the issue, cleaned it again with throttle body cleaner and it was the same issue. tried to relearn the throttle as per instructions here and still the same issue.was told to drive it to re learn so I drove it 300ks and it still had the same issue of idle holding at 1500rpm when driving until completely stopping then it would drop to normal. I then found a procedure on a Honda forum. turn ur ignition on, unplug the TB, turn it off, plug it back in,turn ur car on,clear ur check engine light and codes and instantly it went back to normal.thanks for ur help hope this helps someone
 

Ghostbuster

Well-Known Member
Messages
862
Location
United States
ok heres an update. I cleaned it with carby cleaner and thought that was the issue, cleaned it again with throttle body cleaner and it was the same issue. tried to relearn the throttle as per instructions here and still the same issue.was told to drive it to re learn so I drove it 300ks and it still had the same issue of idle holding at 1500rpm when driving until completely stopping then it would drop to normal. I then found a procedure on a Honda forum. turn ur ignition on, unplug the TB, turn it off, plug it back in,turn ur car on,clear ur check engine light and codes and instantly it went back to normal.thanks for ur help hope this helps someone

Well that sucks that you had to go to a honda forum to figure out how to fix your Hummer...

Oh well... I'm glad it is back to normal for you.
 

rsc

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,087
Location
Tulsa
I basically said the exact procedure on page one of this thread.....
Yes you did, but it didn't sound like you were sure if that was it and then you said you would look for the real procedure on 355Nation. I kept waiting for you to post back confirmation. :eek:pen: but yeah, that was it. :thumbs: I wish all these little cheat codes for the H3 were archived for quick reference since they aren't standardized.
 

amrg

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,317
Location
Qatar
Bumping this thread...

I had a p0507 code pop up after cleaning my throttle body. Whenever I would set the trans into neutral/park, the engine would rev up to 2000 rpms and hold there. whenever Im in gear and stop, the rpms take ages to drop to normal and Im holding my foot really hard on the brakes. drove the truck 250 miles with that problem, had the battery cable disconnected over night and still wouldn't be fixed. No vacuum leaks and the sensors were working as expected.

Anyway, solution was either use a tech 2 scanner to do a throttle re-learn (at the dealers), or, using hptuners, I used something called throttle reset, which took me 30 seconds to do and now the truck is back to normal. As previously mentioned, the truck learns continuously as the throttle gets dirty, and once you clean it, it gets confused and you need to reset the programming to fix that.
 
Top