• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Rock slider opinions needed.

rascole

I am modifying my Schwarttzy rock sliders. Would like some opinions. I do a lot of camping and access the roof rack quite a bit. Having wider sliders will also keep the doors and fenders safer. I cut the original round tube off and will kick it out about a total of 8 inches and top it off with diamond plate. Pictures are a mock up with plastic pipe.

Attachments

• 20221005_171055.jpg
    20221005_171055.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 93
  • 20221005_171110.jpg
    20221005_171110.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
  • 20221005_172328.jpg
    20221005_172328.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 115
  • 20221005_172332.jpg
    20221005_172332.jpg
    813.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 20221005_172342.jpg
    20221005_172342.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 106
  • 20221005_172424.jpg
    20221005_172424.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 108

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
That looks really wide, like gangster-era running boards. I think most truck running boards are about 5"-6" and that seems about right to me, and would still provide plenty of place to step, and lot of protection.

You might want a cross brace (diagonal from outside corner to first brace) to help counter any forces that would push back those steps when you hit a rock just aft of the front tire. You don't want your sliders bent back into your rear tire.

But if you wanna rob banks and shoot them coppers with your tommy gun, this would be perfect! :)

Korby7

I think I would go with a little less stick out, like 6"? Mine stick out about 4" and it works for me. Great for roof access and it definitely protects the doors and fenders from rocks and debris off the tires. +1 on the bracing.

rascole

That looks really wide, like gangster-era running boards. I think most truck running boards are about 5"-6" and that seems about right to me, and would still provide plenty of place to step, and lot of protection.

You might want a cross brace (diagonal from outside corner to first brace) to help counter any forces that would push back those steps when you hit a rock just aft of the front tire. You don't want your sliders bent back into your rear tire.

But if you wanna rob banks and shoot them coppers with your tommy gun, this would be perfect! :)
I do plan on welding a flat plate on top , not sure if it will be diamond or some sort. I think that should add the rigidity you mentioned. My initial thought on the 8" was a recent trip had the drivers side door tasting distance to a wall. But, that's why I need opinions.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
What about keeping it narrower in the front (still wider than what what was there before) and then having a wider kick out part closet to the rear? I've seen that on a few sliders before, helps the rear "kick around"/protect the rear fender and wheel.

rascole

What about keeping it narrower in the front (still wider than what what was there before) and then having a wider kick out part closet to the rear? I've seen that on a few sliders before, helps the rear "kick around"/protect the rear fender and wheel.
Thought about that but not a fan of the looks. I narrowed them today by 2" and I like the look. Going to stick with 6" wide with a top plate.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Good point about the top plate and the strength, I forgot about that. You could also build some storage compartments for those um, "shopping" trips across the border. :)

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Also remember the further the tube sticks out the more leverage there is to bend the legs.

I’d do the tube sticking out but keep it minimal

crwalkerasla

I was planning on doing the same thing. And was also looking at 8" width.
1. I have a size 12 shoe and don't want to worry about slipping off.
2. The stock nurf bars on my 06 extend 8" now. So no lateral difference, only added strength.
I was planning on getting the top plate CNC cut with a logo or phrase for the rig.

rascole

With the additional leverage I know there are pros/cons but I am using .188 wall tube and a top plate will help add some rigidity. May not be the "best" but better than tearing off a fender or a big dent in the door. After they are done I do plan on lifting with a hi lift to check on flex and may add the forth mounting bracket if needed.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
So, after testing, you may want one more? Cool, may the fourth be with you.

My Rocky Road sliders have regularly flexed up into the pinch weld over the years. Not much, but they are dented a bit. No broken welds.

rascole

So, after testing, you may want one more? Cool, may the fourth be with you.

My Rocky Road sliders have regularly flexed up into the pinch weld over the years. Not much, but they are dented a bit. No broken welds.
LOL, just figured it out. These sliders only utilize 3 mounting points. If there is flex, I will add the FOURTH, not forth, mount to add stiffness.

rascole

Finishing up the sliders. My co-worker cut and welded the tube and I reserved my welding skills to the diamond plate step. 90% happy with the outcome. Should have gone with 45 degree front bend instead of the 60 degree and possibly added the "forth" mount. When I lifted the H3 completely off the ground, they flexed about 1/4" closer to the body.
20221110_094345 (575x1280).jpg

20221110_102425 (1280x577).jpg

20221110_112048 (1280x577).jpg

Happy Hummer

1669921118471.png

So, kind of like these that I built a number of years back lol! Didn't know this would be come a trend. Joke!
Seriously, years ago I chose to do an entire build of this nature. It took a lot of effort but in the end they were really nice.
Some drawbacks I found were the sheer weight of them made my H3 feel really sluggish and they were a bit more slippery then I would like. They are now sitting in my basement waiting, hoping for a new home. I probably have about $700 into the build and well over 100hrs for all the designing, prototyping, fabricating etc..

I'm glad I built them from scratch. They are built like a brick sh!t house. All DOM tubing and 1/4 diamond plate. Triple pass welds etc... Now if only I could find someone in SE WI. that would like them at a reduced price...Lol!