• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Read spark plugs

poweraidon

I recently changed my spark plugs and the previous owner didn't know how to change them and half of them were loose... I took them out they looked pretty bad to me. I'm scared could there be something wrong with my engine?

eme2a4ur.jpg

juqutune.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poweraidon

rsc

That dark greasy buildup would normally say you had oil blow by from the rings or valves or even s head gasket. In this case the insulator looks normal so its probably not oil. The first one looks a little dark but otherwise the insulators all look good.

Last edited:

SuperBuickGuy

they look fine, don't look at the threads, look at the ceramic - a nice light grey to light brown is optimal with no buildup on any of the exposed surfaces.

don't forget thread anti-seize when you put your new plugs in.

CaseyS

If they were not all the way tight, run the new set for 10k or so and then pull them to check them. Should be a nice light tan.

Reading plugs to me is something of the past with OBDII. If something is not right, normally you will get codes. Usually more accurate than trying to guess at plugs.

poweraidon

If they were not all the way tight, run the new set for 10k or so and then pull them to check them. Should be a nice light tan.

Reading plugs to me is something of the past with OBDII. If something is not right, normally you will get codes. Usually more accurate than trying to guess at plugs.

One of the slot was covered in black grease so when I put in my new one I think that one is also covered in that black grease now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peep

Before I buy some new plugs, I assume iridium are better than platinum but what about the multi prong ends. The ones that have 2 or four arms that the centre to spark to.

when I had a Surburban I changed from a normal steel spark plug to a 2 prong iridium plug. It caused the engine to run hotter. But it was a 1984 4 barrel carb.

any thoughts?

Best4x4

Stay the heck away from any Bosch 2x, 4x type plug!! Total garbage and they're known for fouling up as early as 3K leaving you with misfires and a poor running engine.

Just match the OEM type of plug which on our H3's is an Iridium plug. I'm running Autolite Iridium's in both my H3's (3.7L I5 & 5.3L V8) and they're perfectly fine. The ACDelco's in our H3's are made in Japan so it would be no surprise to me if they're actually made by NGK.