• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3T Leaking Red Fluid

cdarveaux

I get a text from my dad saying that I left a trail of some red fluid when I left the house, so I check my truck and look underneath and I find the whole right side (suspension, tie rod, axle, and the other goodies) was wet with the red fluid. I'm still learning about engines and cars in general. Whats wrong? Please help!

Neo

Badfish
the coolant and tranny fluid are the only things that are red , i would suggest you open the radiator or overflow tank and smell what coolant smells like , then check the stuff you have leaking by getting a little on your finger and smelling it . it could just be a cracked hose or bad fitting on the radiator. tranny fluid is a bit thicker than coolant so you might be able to tell the difference if thats the case. i doubt it was tranny fluid because if alot of that leaked out you would start having driving issues with shifting etc.
if it's the coolant keep an eye on your engine temperture if it starts running hot stop and get some more coolant or water in it to limp home until the leak gets fixed then flush and add the proper fluid , if you watered down the old fluid you will want to replace with fresh for cold weather protection.

cdarveaux

I am not having any performance issues, and the stuff don't look thick so maybe it is the coolant. I did not notice the temp but I will keep an eye on it. And I opened the hood and I did not notice the coolant level getting low but I will check again. Thanks for the fast response!

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The coolant overflow drains out roughly below the air box, so if it had to purge itself of any fluid that's where it ends up. I'll get that on occasion when wheeling and some inevitably gets on hot engine parts as well, giving that burning coolant smell.

ArtHummer

Red fluid also can be a power steering and transfer case. The only thing with PS is that the reservoir for PS is small and if it leaks you will have problem with steering (hard to turn, pump will make grinding noise, fluid will be bubbling in the reservoir). It could be transmission fluid but in that case you will not see allot of oil on the front. And since it is colder now and fluid gets thicker you will not experience performance issues until you will loose allot of it. You can check the level with a dipstick for the trany. Do not mix it with engine oil dipstick. It is located on right side (passenger side) behind the intake house. To check the trany fluid make sure the fluid is warm (let it run for more than 10 min), leave engine running and check the level on dipstick.

If everything is wet I would say, most likely, you got a blown seal on the transference.

Last edited:

JohnnySpikesH3

Get her looked at soon there son . Any bleeding is not good . You don't want something minor to turn into a major . Especially on our rig's . They can be unforgiving . Wallet wise . Everyone here would have it either at the dealer , their mechanic or up on jacks on their drive way . Asap .

Last edited:

cdarveaux

Checked the Dipstick and the Transmission fluid was low, and it looks like it pooled in front of the radiator. I drove it around and I did not notice any issues with shifting, turning, or anything. And the coolant does not look like its leaking, yes I did smell it and it did not smell like coolant. Oh and its like 75 degrees F where I am so the cold should not be an issue haha

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Coolant...

As for performance issues with low trans fluid, you will see that pretty much right away unless you live in sub-zero temps and drive short distances. Trans fluid heats up pretty quick thanks to the radiator cooler. And trans fluid works best when it is warm to hot (roughly 150-190...I say works best).

Trouble with coolant is unless it is spitting out of the overflow, most will not show up on the ground if leaking since the skid plates prevent any from hitting the actual ground. Trans and t/case are behind the plates so if you get a leak it will be easier to see on the ground. Also, trans and t/case fluid is a bit thicker than coolant and has a very distinctive smell.

Last edited:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Checked the Dipstick and the Transmission fluid was low, and it looks like it pooled in front of the radiator. I drove it around and I did not notice any issues with shifting, turning, or anything. And the coolant does not look like its leaking, yes I did smell it and it did not smell like coolant. Oh and its like 75 degrees F where I am so the cold should not be an issue haha

I just noticed this....
What looks like it is pooled in front of the radiator? You're not saying there is a red fluid pooled in the skid plate under the radiator, are you? If so, radiator fluid flows from the trans into the radiator and through the transmission cooler and back to the trans.

cdarveaux

e8y5egyb.jpg

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I'm going along the lines of F5 suspicions and I think you have a transmission leak at the radiator. The transmission cooler is within the radiator though I don't know exactly where the lines go - others know that better than me.

To confirm, that picture is at the passenger side lower control arm where it meets the front skid plate (splash shield), correct?

JonBishop

Does transmission fluid smell like maple syrup?.... Been smelling a syrup smell an seen little dribbles in the engine bay, coolant level hasn't changed since I've been smelling it.... Sry for asking a question on ur thread cdarveaux, I just think I might be having the same problem :(

Happy Hummer

I'm going to guess that that is transmission fluid and you probably have a line that is leaking or the bottom of the radiators ruptured.

Chris

skippy

check the two line in the bottom of the radiator and see if they are tight!

if they are you will have to trace the lines under the engine (best to take the bash plate off)
clean all the lines and then run the car up and try to find the leak it will be a tedious job but one that should be done sooner rather than later.

don't like to see a hummer bleed!:gaah:

auggie mathis

What part of town are you in? I will be glad to take a look at it for you. If its leaking that bad it needs to be looked at fast before it causes more damage