• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Heavy Duty Skid Plate

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
WOW. That doesn't look like just a skid-plate. That looks like full on armor. Are you trying to ride over the mine field?
What is the combines weight of this 2 plates?

Never know when you could use armor strong enough for a mine, lol. They weight in at 60 to 80lb each I would say.

Sethmark

Congratulations on doing a very nice job of engineering this product. It looks well thought out.

A few thoughts.... 3/8" steel is 15.3# per square foot. I've built a lot of rock crawlers and trail rigs and in my opinion .250" is more than ample.... .187" would be better with some bracing behind it and a couple of 90s at the ends. Going all the way to .375" is nuts in my opinion.

Weight is entirely undesirable on a trail rig. Lighter cars work better and are easier on parts.

ABNTROOP

HIPPO
Never know when you could use armor strong enough for a mine, lol. They weight in at 60 to 80lb each I would say.
*whistle* holy crap dude, that's ALOT of extra weight.. That's bound to put some strain on surrounding parts. Look forward to seeing your maintenance repair blog :whaa:

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Weight is entirely undesirable on a trail rig. Lighter cars work better and are easier on parts.

I completely agree, I just want these thing to make people start laughing at brute strength these things have when they see them. I get giddy every time I hold them.

*whistle* holy crap dude, that's ALOT of extra weight.. That's bound to put some strain on surrounding parts. Look forward to seeing your maintenance repair blog :whaa:

Meh, ones 69 pounds and the other 74 for a total of 134 pounds. They bolt completely to the frame, I would honestly be surprised if hurt anything, not like the cross-members are going to come off.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
O I forgot, I'm going to offer them from .250, .3125, and .375 order what you like just you will bend the .250 a bit but they don't give.

RamRod

O I forgot, I'm going to offer them from .250, .3125, and .375 order what you like just you will bend the .250 a bit but they don't give.

Will there be a difference in price between the sizes?

Interested in .250 set... and a few other things on your site (the leaf spring mounts and extended shackels) any way to make a deal if all three are order at once?

silvrzuki77

Hey schwartzy, skids look awesome. Was there any more thought on using aluminum?

Last edited:

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Are the steel skid plates making it to production?

I think I have production ready parts right now, the delay is because I would like another Hummer to test it on to make sure the installation is smooth. However since I haven't been able to get anyone out to my place for testing, I'm just going to bolt up the 3/8 thick skid plate I made on my H3 this week and get a pre-order going before this weekend.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
:horns:

Alright! I'm excited to finally be at this point.

I decided that I'll carry the skid plates in two thickness 1/4 and 5/16. I recommend the 5/16, because I have bent my current 1/4 skid plates a bit further than I would have liked. However despite the bend they still protect the Hummer just fine, and I was really wailing on it for you guys. This is a pre order and I need at least three of you guys for each thickness to be able to honor the following prices. I'm only doing this because I don't have 1.5k to throw down on on each thickness for 5 sets.

At quarter inch thick steel, the price will be $315 not powder-coated

At 5/16 inch thick steel, the price will be $345 not powder-coated

Power-coating is an additional $75 dollars

I don't know how shipping price will be at this point but I promise that they will be less than $100 to any where in the lower 48 states.

Later tonight I will setup the page where you'll be able to order your set.

RamRod

This will fit the H3t as well I assume (since the OME UCP did)

Can anyone confirm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
Can you toss up a few pics of these mounted up?

I don't have any good photos, since I have pre production ones on my H3, and I can never seem to get customers to post any photos for anything.

However, I'll try to take some photos of my beat up and never powder coated skid plates today. Keep in mind that these skid plates are slightly different from production skid plates.

What is required to install them?

Drilling three holes is all it takes, two of which are on a cross member that you could unbolt and grab a new one from a junk yard. The other five bolts are already on your H3.