• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 value increasing or decreasing in 5-10 years?

StandoutAlpha

Mainly the Alpha V8 model.
What do you all think the value of the H3's will increase or decrease or stay the same in 5-10 years from now?

Jeepwalker

Increase.
They're probably close to rock bottom right now. They look cool and of limited supply. That usually portends to good value retention for vehicles in nice condition. Also, depending how well electric vehicles are received, they might prove to be good vehicles to convert to electric. They are large enough to easily stow batteries and have the GM bellhousing ...and newer (and better) electric conversion kits will be coming online in the future. Once electric vehicle technology goes through several technology revisions, and people have greater familiarity with electrics, electric conversions on older vehicles will likely become commonplace. At the same time, fewer and fewer people will have less knowledge of engines (that's probably beyond 10 years).

Then again, 1) the west could be at war with China (at least a trade war) which disrupts trade and chips for a dozen years, 2) the U.S. could have it's own civil war in which interstate grids become a weapon (or vulnerability), 3) the Ruski's, Chinese, Koreans or Iranians might succesfully take down a large part of our electric grid as an attack (leaving millions of electric vehicle owners drivers stranded w/o reliable power for weeks ...souring the switch-over to electric vehicles), 4) hydrogen technology might surge ahead. 5) H3's never really catch on for a variety of reasons and remain a curiousity, like International Scouts. I would say, at least one of the above (if not two) are likely. So who knows?? There was a time when a guy could buy a '73 Camaro and Bandit Trans Am's really cheap. And those first Gen 22R Toyota pickups (I owned several of those) ...they've gone sky high. I would think H3's will eventually be like that. Pickup and Alphas even moreso bc most of the 5-cyl engines will have crapped out and there aren't cheap replacements out there.

"...difficult to see, the future is".

H3Hummer

Well over here in EU and in mi country Luxembourg, Hummers are still rare 4x4 and special H3's are rear to find. The price is getting higher year by year.

Nothing to do with but, my 30 years old Suzuki Samurai , all rebuild to new and inspected is now 10.500$ worth !

Jeepwalker

You can still find XJ's that aren't very much money. Also, they made SO many more XJ's and for many more years than H3's. The I-5 H3's will all be blown or locked up in 5 years except those guys who rebuilt theirs while parts were avail. But yeah, definitely the good ones will be worth some money.

Kurt

Good condition models with low miles will increase. I'd figure the market would be small for them, I saw a few with 3-5k miles with 50k asking price but will they sell at that price?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
If the future held the traditional car market of a few years ago, I'd say that the H3s would increase in value. But at this point I'm a bit skeptical. Over time, electric cars and government regulation may start to restrict ICE usage. The supply chain and relative rarity of H3s has made getting some parts difficult, expensive or even impossible. Is this a vehicle that someone will want to spend $1000 on aftermarket torsion bars? Do we want to spend good money on custom-fabricated heat shields? Are they only going to survive as SAS or other custom coilover suspensions? Will all H3s be LS powered since the I5 is already rare and expensive?

I feel like the fundamental aftermarket support of companies like Dorman will begin to abandon the H3 in a few years the way GM's supply chain already has.

I also think that many modern cars won't survive decades like the classic muscle cars. These computers and screens will begin to fail with no replacements available. Most automakers are already using outdated chips (that's part of the reason of the recent vehicle shortages). Who's going to supply replacement circuit boards down the road? Those awesome Hellcats and C8s won't be able to move without an 80 year old former automotive engineer recreating things in his home garage.

Heck, when Tesla screens were failing, "Tesla Vice President of Legal Al Prescott made the case that the touchscreen failures didn't constitute a defect worthy of a recall because the parts were only expected to last five to six years in the first place"

Kurt

I agree with that, I think you'll see a lot of older 4x4's be prime candidates for EV conversion. I saw a fairly robust Defender 90/110 conversion kit using dual battery packs, 3rd party control systems and a tesla motor/gearbox setup as a transfer case. Something like that could fit easily in an H1 or Humvee or H2/H3 I figure another few years you'll see a few more options for DIY on the market or at least reasonable prices vs going with a custom shop currently. Problem is, I'm not really familiar with H2/H3 subsystems. How many computer modules are there controlling things like locks/doors/etc.

lfootmatt

I'll be that angry old guy rolling around in my H3, burning gas, even if I have to make it myself. I'll do it just to spite the U.S. gov.

later,

Matt

JPaul

I could see it going either way, but as mentioned before it's going to be a more niche market, especially now that Ford has a relatively decent alternative to the Wrangler out in the shape of a Bronco. For me personally, since I have done it before, if I keep the H3 for very long I will likely buy a parts vehicle for the harder to find stuff. Computers can run darn near forever as long as there are no internal defects or external forces that destroy them. Worst case you can go with a stand alone system if you're determined to keep something running, but it will definitely be a labor of love (and lots of money) at that point.

I do not see a day when ICE is completely banned across the board. If that day ever comes it will likely be well after my lifetime is over.

Happy Hummer

Lol! I think all of this is a moot point because the cost of ownership of a vehicle will be so high in a decade will most likely be using some other form of transportation. Sad

GMOG78

Flip a coin. There could be an endless supply of replacement parts thanks to 3D printers and other future tech. Or it could be only the truly resourceful will own a Hummer. Keeping their Hummers running with whatever parts are available. Like the car lovers of Cuba.
Hard to predict anything in this day and age. I'm still waiting for my Jetpack.

rascole

The H3 will decrease as a whole. The Pontiac Aztec is rare too, does it mean that it is worth $$$$? NOPE. The unicorn H3's will hold some value, H3T Alpha Adventure Luxury Championship Edition under 100k miles single owner from the South West no salt winter roads. Unfortunately parts are getting very hard to find, some are non-existent now. These are awesome 4x4s but unless you park it, you'll end up paying high $$ for parts. Just looking for Alpha parts to do a V8 swap is a PITA.

EndeavoredH3

The H3 will decrease as a whole. The Pontiac Aztec is rare too, does it mean that it is worth $$$$? NOPE. The unicorn H3's will hold some value, H3T Alpha Adventure Luxury Championship Edition under 100k miles single owner from the South West no salt winter roads. Unfortunately parts are getting very hard to find, some are non-existent now. These are awesome 4x4s but unless you park it, you'll end up paying high $$ for parts. Just looking for Alpha parts to do a V8 swap is a PITA.
Heard the fan shrouds are basically nonexistent now a days, maybe we’ll jump on making some for the I5 and v8 applications

Jeepwalker

....Or it could be only the truly resourceful will own a Hummer. Keeping their Hummers running with whatever parts are available.

I kind of agree with that comment. There was never much aftermarket support for the H3's compared to the Toyota FJ and XJ's. There is a whole Toyota and Jeep world (plus many yrs of parts interchangeability) which help incentivize aftermarket mfgrs to make aftermarket jeep parts. But then again, those H3's in great condition which do survive will probably have pretty good value. But they'll be 'blue birds'. The 'typical' beat-up and 'tired' H3's and the I-5's with bad or weak engines, probably won't have much value bc they'll be expensive to maintain. Most people don't really want to do 'real' work to keep their H3's running. It would make more sense to go buy a new Ford Bronco and write out a monthly check.

aspen

i have seen h3s with 120,000 miles going for over 10,000 now . has for electric nuts never

aspen

I kind of agree with that comment. There was never much aftermarket support for the H3's compared to the Toyota FJ and XJ's. There is a whole Toyota and Jeep world (plus many yrs of parts interchangeability) which help incentivize aftermarket mfgrs to make aftermarket jeep parts. But then again, those H3's in great condition which do survive will probably have pretty good value. But they'll be 'blue birds'. The 'typical' beat-up and 'tired' H3's and the I-5's with bad or weak engines, probably won't have much value bc they'll be expensive to maintain. Most people don't really want to do 'real' work to keep their H3's running. It would make more sense to go buy a new Ford Bronco and write out a monthly check.
no way new truck 500.00 +per month for 8 years i will take that money and rebuild the hummer. plus with a warranty you cant touch it or you will void it