• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 XM/Onstar both died!

poncho1965

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,263
Location
Ridgecrest, California
I was hooking up the aux in harness at the XM box, tested it, and it was working fine, next time I started the truck XM was not working. I punched the Onstar button to see if they could tell me anything and discovered it was also inop. Anything in common with these systems? Did a quick look in the fuse box (dusty!) but it was dark. Anyone know the cost to replace control boxes for these? Thanks!


Sent using Tapatalk
 

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Messages
1,997
Location
In hiding.....
I would guess you blew the hidden Onstar/Digital radio receiver fuse.
Off the battery B+ is a smaller gauge orange wire, follow that wire and you will come across an inline 10AMP fuse. I would bet that fuse has been blown.
 

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Messages
1,997
Location
In hiding.....
According to the service manual, "On the positive battery cable harness, next to the battery"

Onstar_XMfuse.jpg
 

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Messages
1,997
Location
In hiding.....
Sounds more to me like when installing the aux, and after testing, possibly a wire was touched to ground. Happens all the time when people are playing with hot wires with the battery connected. Chances are it was just that, and it blew the 10 amp fuse. Now if the fuse blows again and no messing with the wires is involved, it would be time to go into that area and check for possible hot shorts to ground.
 

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Messages
1,997
Location
In hiding.....
Not sure. I cannot believe either Onstar or XM were an after thought in any vehicle GM designed from scratch. Onstar is owned by GM and is a money maker, and GM had invested in XM and back in the early days was a big selling item for GM. My belief is someone thought it was for security since it was not common knowledge where the fuse was located; so if a vehicle was stolen, the fuse might not be pulled, allowing for Onstar tracking. But that is my belief. I never really asked anyone at GM, why?
 
Top