• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

which shock?

signals34

Hi , I'm new here....have a 2006 H-3, which I bought new , adventure series... it has 72,000 miles on it....it's in good over all shape....no lift, all stock height, no changes to anything, all stock......3-4 months ago I purchased new shocks, got the KYB's....don't like them, they seem softer than the oem adventure shocks, which had over 70,000 on them....I do not go off roading, all street.......I want to try again and get new shocks...I want a stiff ride, least amount of rocking front and back, least nose dive, roll etc....which shocks...5100 bilstein, rancho 9000xl, fox 2.0....or is there anything else I don't know about.......thanks for the help.....

Attachments

• IMG_2188.JPG
    IMG_2188.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 489

Panzer07

Fox if money isn't an issue, bilstein if u are on a budget yet want quality, Ranchos have been rated to be garbage for anything longer than a couple of months

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Ghostbuster

I have fox 2.0 shocks front and rear. They are ok. Maybe a little firmer than stock. You aren't going to solve nose dive with these. I'm not sure you can solve nose dive with shocks.

GreatDaneHummer

Stronger torsion bars combined with the correct length of bump stop will help with nose dive. Add some decent shocks like the fox and you are off to the races.

4speedfunk

Perhaps your truck was "leveled" before you got it? Leveled H3's often suffer from increased nose lift (at take-off) and dive (under braking). This is due to the excessive space between the lower control arms and the bumpstops. GM designed the bumps to be part of the suspension, and they are more than just a "bottom out bump". The bumps typically touch (or are very close to touching) the lower control arms at static ride height. You can drop the front end or install longer bumps to correct the porpoising effects.

Another symptom that leveled H3's often have is a very harsh ride. This is usually due to the shocks being too short. If you level an H3 and don't install longer shocks (or extensions), you will be driving around with the shocks "topped-out"...they are actually at the very end of their stroke. This will create a bone-jarring harshness. Both of these issues are very common but, the fixes (and shock choices) are very limited.

rsc

Stronger torsion bars combined with the correct length of bump stop will help with nose dive. Add some decent shocks like the fox and you are off to the races.

Ding, Ding! Winner! If you keep the front at around 23 1/4" you will be just off the bump stops, you get a little lift at the front and not enough of a gap at the bump stops that pitching and nose dive becomes excessive. I feel the stock I5 torsion springs are marginally on the soft side, but a new set of Alpha springs will fix that up and also help if you ever want to add front end weight in the form of a big bumper or winch.

Peep

i ordered
Bilstein 24-185615 46mm Monotube Shock Absorber
Bilstein 25176407 Shock Absorber

Fantastic for my rough very bad roads

Traxx

Just put the adventure shocks back in it, they are a great all around shock. Guys need to learn to read; stock, no lift, no off road. No need to spend a ton of money on Fox shocks for a bone stock dd.

rsc

Just put the adventure shocks back in it, they are a great all around shock. Guys need to learn to read; stock, no lift, no off road. No need to spend a ton of money on Fox shocks for a bone stock dd.

Hey, where's the fun in that?!? We're spending HIS money, not ours. :woot:

signals34

Thanks....can I get those alpha torsion bars for my 2006, the stiffest ones, the 30.5mm....would they fit into the same bar keys, and front , or do they require other new parts to fit....thanks....

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The Alpha torsion bars fit in with no modification necessary.

Like Traxx, I think you can be fine with the OEM Adventure shocks. They are decent shocks. Sure, owners talk about the big improvements with new shocks but as Hunner pointed out years ago, almost any new shock is an improvement over a worn shock. I've liked the ride of OEM and Bilstein and I've gone back and forth between the two. My issue with Bilstein is that I've had much shorter lives with them but if you're 100% street you may have better luck than me.

GreatDaneHummer

"which shocks...5100 bilstein, rancho 9000xl, fox 2.0....or is there anything else I don't know about.......thanks for the help....."

I did read... "fox 2.0" he is asking about Fox shocks so yes out of those three he listed I choose the Fox and suggested it to them. Daily driver or not he asked and I answered. Good shocks are not just for off roading they can make your everyday drive that much better with better rebound and if his streets are anything like down town Chicago it is closer to off roading than you might think haha.