• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

water sterilization

jakesz28

Do you carry anything to treat or filter water? With all of the knowledge here I'm wondering what your plans are? I have looked into different UV treatment tools. I currently have a SteriPen journey. The original purchase of this was do to traveling to India.
Or is it best to boil if you need water in a survival situation.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Boiling is great on filtered water, as it kills most of the bacteria. It does nothing for chemicals, so you still need to choose your water source carefully.

I also have a SteriPen but haven't used it yet. For my house, I also have an Ecoloblue, which is an atmospheric Water Generator. It makes pure water from the air by drawing out the humidity, filtering it, purifying it and storing it for you. It is the best tasting water that I've ever had. Here is the site: http://www.ecoloblue.com/. It works very well in humid summers, not so well in the winter. It uses UV like the Steripen. It can connect to one of my solar panels for power when the grid is down.

Another option is using small amounts of bleach or iodine to purify water. These make the water taste bad and can only be used for a short while. They'll send you to the bathroom if you use them too much.

There are many ways to filter, including using a plain old bandana to get the big stuff, even charcoal to get the small stuff. A YouTube search can send you in the right direction.

Last edited:

ArtHummer

I also have an Ecoloblue, which is an atmospheric Water Generator. It makes pure water from the air by drawing out the humidity, filtering it, purifying it and storing it for you. It is the best tasting water that I've ever had.

Isn't it going to make a distilled water? From what I know distilled water is not really good for prolong drinking. Since it is pure and there are no minerals, it will flush all the minerals out of your system.

Paladine71

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Isn't it going to make a distilled water? From what I know distilled water is not really good for prolong drinking. Since it is pure and there are no minerals, it will flush all the minerals out of your system.

Perhaps, if this is the only thing that you're taking in. I was still planning to eat, and that's where the majority of minerals come from.

JGBB04

In my book water is like fire the more options you have the better, stored water for short term emergencies is fine. but long term you need other options including going native where u just get acoustomed to local water

MuDnYrI

I have the CamelBak® All Clear™ Microbiological UV Water Purifier
http://shop.camelbak.com/water-purification/bottles/all-clear-water-purifier/l/251
1208_pure_blue_sp_thumb.jpg 1150_blue_l_thumb.jpg
Uses UV light to inactivate viruses, bacteria and
cysts