• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Vibration

Corey Barnes

Hey guys maybe someone has been through this before. I have the 3.7l and I started noticing slight vibration at 600 rpm so I decided to change the spark plugs since it was over 100,000 miles. That seemed to take care of it for a few days. I just replaced all 5 coil packs and the vibration is still there. I only feel it at 600 rpm and anything above that is smooth. Could it maybe be the alternator causing this? I had just replaced the battery and my headlights still dim when braking, rolling up the windows, turning on the ac, even the inside cab lights. Any suggestions??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corey Barnes

Oh and yes I have not been lazy and not searched the topic. I have searched everywhere for a post about it. The vibration isn't as much rough as it is just annoying its in the steering wheel and the seat. Just a constant vibration.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The headlights dimming is a sign of properly working alternator in the H3. Long story but you're not going to "fix" it.

I would start with something as simple as a bottle of Techron in the fuel tank and run that through

digglesworth

I too had this problem a little while ago... It turned out to be a coil pack... But in my searching, I came across something about the brake switch in the pedal being faulty... Don't ask me for details cause I'd be talking out my a$$ but I saw it somewhere. I think on a different forum. Something about that switch being in some circuit or something. Since you said it dimmed the lights upon braking, it may be worth investigating.

Zach

Mall Crawler
For the dimming, also check the battery cables. Had that happen before.
Rough idle could be a lot of different things. Since you already changed the coils, check the engine mounts and diff mounts. Easy to check and common

Corey Barnes

The headlights dimming is a sign of properly working alternator in the H3. Long story but you're not going to "fix" it.

I would start with something as simple as a bottle of Techron in the fuel tank and run that through

Thanks alrock, I've read the story somewhere on the forum about the abs having a certain amount of volts causing the dim in lights or something like that. I was just seeing if there was a possibility the vibration had to do with something electrical perhaps.

Corey Barnes

I too had this problem a little while ago... It turned out to be a coil pack... But in my searching, I came across something about the brake switch in the pedal being faulty... Don't ask me for details cause I'd be talking out my a$$ but I saw it somewhere. I think on a different forum. Something about that switch being in some circuit or something. Since you said it dimmed the lights upon braking, it may be worth investigating.

Hmmmm I'll have to check into that and see if I can find some more info on it. Thanks for the help!

Corey Barnes

Rough idle could be a lot of different things. Since you already changed the coils, check the engine mounts and diff mounts. Easy to check and common

That was next on my list. Are you suggesting that the terminals may be bad or something else about the cables?

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
I have same vibration in the steering wheel at idle, it goes away one I am off idle. I don't think there is real solution. I think 100+k and 5 cyl is not well balanced motor, I just learn to leave with it.

chaos254

I have same vibration in the steering wheel at idle, it goes away one I am off idle. I don't think there is real solution. I think 100+k and 5 cyl is not well balanced motor, I just learn to leave with it.

Same here, brought it to the dealer and they said its normal for our engines...

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk