• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Vehicle Title Delay

fowlken8

So my temp plate has been expired since March 15th. I've been harassing the dealership about it since I haven't received the title yet.

They're in Michigan. They said the DMV told them there is a paper shortage for printing titles and everything is delayed. Sounded stupid, but google search verifies that there is a title paper shortage.......

What do I do? Drive around expired? I have insurance, a drivers license, the bill of sale.

I simply cannot register the vehicle as I want to since the title isn't available yet. This really sucks.

Korby7

I went through a title delay on one of my wife’s vehicles. The DMV was willing to issue an extension on the temporary plates.

Nikal

Damn they will find every excuse. Now it’s a paper shortage. Lol!

Last November I was trying to get ahold of the property tax assessors office. They are still using Covid and people not working in the office as their excuse why things are delayed an extra 6-8 weeks.

fowlken8

I actually asked the dealer for another temp plate....they said they cannot issue one because it's illegal?

and I googled it, sure enough, they are only allowed to issue one plate and nothing more.

All of these ridiculous excuses are apparently true.

And no, not Carvana. A smaller dealership out there.

Do you think my local DMV has any say over a Michigan plate? Guess I'll have to call them and hope I don't get a ticket driving home. Luckily my rear window is quite dark.

zebra

weird. in the last couple years, i've got extended temps from AZ and TX on the last two vehicles we bought when both had title delays.
sounds like MI has stupid rules.

650Hawk

I actually asked the dealer for another temp plate....they said they cannot issue one because it's illegal?

and I googled it, sure enough, they are only allowed to issue one plate and nothing more.

All of these ridiculous excuses are apparently true.

And no, not Carvana. A smaller dealership out there.

Do you think my local DMV has any say over a Michigan plate? Guess I'll have to call them and hope I don't get a ticket driving home. Luckily my rear window is quite dark.
So leave the existing temp plate on the truck, and carry your bill of sale with you. I'm sure that you're not the only one in Michigan who's having this problem, so law enforcement is likely aware of it. Any ticket that might be written (doubtful) could easily be dismissed in court.

fowlken8

Lame update.

Definitely cannot get a plate extension but they sent me a dealer plate to use.

Apparently when they bought it at auction the title lien wasn’t removed yet…and apparently it’s going to be another month or so when they get the title.

I’m obviously going to be fined for a late registration. I don’t want to pay these fees…75% of the registration fees.

Trying to figure out how to tell them they should cover this.

Alpha X

If you'll be registering it in person, maybe take the dealer plate in with you as some proof, and explain to the clerk what has transpired. If you don't have to pay the late fees, then you don't need the hassle of going after them to reimburse you.