• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

UAV-TD (Urban Assualt Vehicle-Tear Drop

silvrzuki77

Hey guys, thought I would share what I'm building to tow behind my T. Everyone at work calls my T the Urban Assualt Vehicle lol soo00.
Here is my truck in current form
160.jpg

Soo my plans are to build a generic style teardrop but for offroad. My main purpose is to keep me and my two little guys inside a windproof, rain, and cold weather enclosure. Basically they kick the blankets off at night and I dont sleep at all trying to make sure they are warm. Obviously its going to be a new to me towing a trailer this big offroad and will limit me but I can always unhook to scout the road ahead. Over all plan is a 4.5' x 9' trailer, kitchen in the rear with my offroad fridge, 21 gallon water tank, propane, and setup for shower on the outside.
Here is the base 2x3" tubing that is .095 wall thick
frame.jpg

Found 5 matching H3 rims for $100 and had a pair of 315 tires laying around. Going to use suzuki samurai springs for a better ride offroad along with shocks eventually
frame2.jpg

Here is the water tank mocked up in place and the leaf springs the trailer is upside down obviously. Right now I should have 23" from the bottom of the frame to the ground.
framewithtank1.jpg

Now that frame is built I have a exact measurement for the 3500 pound axle I will be ordering. More later.

Gav508

That's an awesome build. Really nice to do yourself too, so that you make the way you want it. Good luck. Keep posting the progress.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

4speedfunk

I re-built my camp/firewood trailer awhile back....
trailer003.JPG

During construction...I found all kinds of trailer shops online, and you can get the springs, axle, and hubs brand new for very little dough. Like you, I chose to match the Hummer's 6-lug bolt-pattern. This will allow you to use the spare from the truck...rather than pack a separate spare for your camper. Given the size & weight...you might want to look into trailer brakes. (check your local laws....some states require brakes on trailers above a certain weight). Around here...the biggest headache was getting a VIN assigned to it, and then a title. However, now that its done...I find that I use it way more than I ever thought I would. It sports a hinged BA rack, 35" KM2s, and a custom THORparts bumper.

Can't wait to see your progress...looks very cool so far.

silvrzuki77

Thats a cool little trailer 4speed, i ordered the axle today 180 bucks shipped non e brakes. Going to give it a shot and if its bad i can add them for 60-80 bucks. Its easier to buy stuff and hide it from the wife in small purchases lol. Nevada is actually super simple to register so i should be fine there. Hopefully this week ill have it on its wheels maybe.

Hunner

Keep up the good work, I like to see people implement their ideas to get just what they want.

Here you can get it registered as "homemade" if you make it or lost the registration. Most older trailers did not have any permanent ID tag so this is what they came up with. Trailer license's are permanent! If you purchase a new trailer under 3500 dollars there is no sales tax. So of course you work a deal under that, then add spare tires and mounts and racks and brakes on the second axle and other things as a separate purchase. I checked on building a heavier Hummer hauler yesterday and that was how they offered it to me.
Ya think some legislatures either sell them or have several of them??

Last edited:

Chook

Think about weight & balance now. It is much easier to design the weight in now that it is to fix it later. Typical large weight items include Fuel, Water, Batteries, Tools, Spares. Your Axle seems to be a long way back. It is ideal to have around 10% of the total weight on the towball.

Another factor as well as the Axle & Tyre Lugs so you can use your vehicle tyre spare is to design the trailer to have the same wheel "track" as the vehicle. It will greatly improve the trailer ability off-road especially in soft sand & mud etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D79J14m6Dwg&feature=plcp

Last edited:

silvrzuki77

I think the picture deceiving for the tires, typically a well rounded weight is placing the axle 40% forward of the rear bumper. Being a teardrop so its going to have a kitchen galley in the rear with a fridge and I am placing the deep cycle battery in the back so alot of the weight is going to be in the back. As for track width im at 72" on the trailer versus the hummers 68-69" wms. I am goong to build tube fenders out of 1.5" round tube and sliders so i can drag it along if i have too. Im basically identical width and length as the commercial one being sold and its working pretty well for the most part.

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Urban Assault Vehicle Too

That Urban Assault Vehicle looks vaguely familiar!

Like the trailer so far. Keep up the good work.

Also like the floor of your garage.

silvrzuki77

Thanks Portager, I did the floor myself right when we bought the house. Went super thick on the coatings and the clear coat been holding up pretty well soo far.

silvrzuki77

Well time for update!!! I got my trailer axle, samurai spring bushings, i bought and cut down a set of speing bushing and tubinv to march the samurai springs and a set of heavy duty spring hangers. Hopefully i will have a rollin chassis tomorrow with pics!

silvrzuki77

Sorry for the delay, I finished the roller portion somewhat on saturday. Axle perches are set at the correct distance, New suzuki samurai spring bushings pressed in, I learned I still hate hole saws with a passion and got it basically rolling. I notched the frame with the plasma cutter for the rear upper shackle mounts. I am using a set off ubolts for shackles till I order or build some. I need to fix some gouges on one side from the hole saw but I wont show that! :)
trailersuspension.jpg

All the upper portions and sides are welded. I am waiting for several other things, stabilizers, holes notches through crossmembers for water lines and other stuff then I will flip the chassis over and weld the under side for clean welds. Hopefully wed I have a better update.

4speedfunk

Plasma - 1
Holesaw - 0

Hopefully you loaded the springs when you located those mounts. Leaf springs can grow several inches once weight is applied to them. This can put your mounts way off from where you might think they'll be. The eye-to-eye dimension is critical to avoid shackle bind...so you might want to leave that hanger (at the C-clamp) tacked until the very end. That way you can move it around after you add an additional thousand lbs. I did not do this with mine, and I wish I had!

You gonna be able to fit 35"s on there with a spring under? (c'mon man...flip that axle...don't be scared!).

Looks great.

silvrzuki77

I took the measurement off a stock samurai spring hanger and then moved the front hanger forward another inch. The front hangers will be the last thing I am going to fully weld in after i weight the suspension down. I did try the spring over setup and it is just too tall for for having a comfortable kitchen and getting in and out of the trailer. Bottom of the frame was around 34" in spoa setup lol. Always a easy fix if i change my mind!