• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Toughest trails you have ran

Hunner

"I-40" all the way from Arkansas to the turn off to Hwy 68 to the start of the Mojave Road! that is right about Kingman:) Beat me and the H3 up! I had to air down!
(but I would do it again)

Last edited:
M

MUTAINT

The Southfield Freeway from the Davison to 7 mile. Brutal!:thumbs:

Hunner

I can't tell Neo, are you bragging or complaining???:giggle:
How you folks doing out that way?

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
For the H3- Iceman

Its rated 4+ out of a maximum of 5+. That is where I broke both my the tierods and had to leave it there for a week before retrieving it. Kinda want to do it again, but want to bring some backup incase something happens again:)

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Sunflower Mine, NE of Phoenix. It can be a challenging trail when dry with long rock gardens, off-camber situations and some good climbs. We ran it in February 2010 with rain, sleet and snow and water crossings of 2' when it would normally be dry. Nearly slid the Hummah off a muddy embankment and down about 30' to the creek bed.

794066179_Hqv45-M.jpg

794079577_5W7dd-M.jpg

794096268_pdgSx-M.jpg

Follow the tire tracks in the mud.
794125028_kKmzq-M.jpg

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
The Twilight Zone in Malaysia. Yes it's a real name. It's called that because many vehicles never make it back out. There's a hill call the Terminator that requires more than half a dozen winch pulls. You have to know what you are doing, because it's so steep that if you release the winch without securing first, you can say goodbye to your 4x4. We were stuck in there for two weeks!!! This is what we looked like when we got out.

rfc03.jpg

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Hunner

Are you happy it was over or just happy or is that a touch of delirium setting in?
or all of the above?:giggle:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
All of the above!! 23 vehicles didn't make it out. I lost over 20 pounds. It was one of the most humbling and best learning experiences in my life. 75% of my 4x4 knowledge came out of that jungle.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Neo

Badfish
I can't tell Neo, are you bragging or complaining???:giggle:
How you folks doing out that way?

we are doing good , bragging or complaining ? both i guess , we have some killer recovery stories for the h3 and a uneventful run for the h1 on golden spike .

my record with the 3 = 0 for 2
my record with the 1 = 1 for 1
:thumbs:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Sunflower Mine, NE of Phoenix. It can be a challenging trail when dry with long rock gardens, off-camber situations and some good climbs. We ran it in February 2010 with rain, sleet and snow and water crossings of 2' when it would normally be dry. Nearly slid the Hummah off a muddy embankment and down about 30' to the creek bed.

794066179_Hqv45-M.jpg

794079577_5W7dd-M.jpg

794096268_pdgSx-M.jpg

Follow the tire tracks in the mud.
794125028_kKmzq-M.jpg

I remember seeing these pics a while back. Those tire tracks are what freaked me out. Mud can be sketchy at times.

The Twilight Zone in Malaysia. Yes it's a real name. It's called that because many vehicles never make it back out. There's a hill call the Terminator that requires more than half a dozen winch pulls. You have to know what you are doing, because it's so steep that if you release the winch without securing first, you can say goodbye to your 4x4. We were stuck in there for two weeks!!! This is what we looked like when we got out.

rfc03.jpg

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Wow! That is pretty insane. do you have any pics of the trail? If not I understand, you were probably a bit busy :wink:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Unfortunately not. Like you said, I was just trying to make it in one piece. The rear leaf springs were shaped like "W"s when we got out from the toughness of the terrain. I took 6 months to restore the vehicle from water damage. We had to replace just about every seal, gasket and output bearing on the truck. Good thing I had removed all the carpets before going. We burned 4 winch motors. We carried two complete 9000 lbs winches with spares motors. We had a 150 liter fuel tank and 4 20 liter Kerry cans, and still nearly didn't make it out. The Aussies saved our behinds. You could tell they had years of experience doing this. We learned so much just from that one adventure. Probably one of my best experiences ever. Even if it was in a sub standard vehicle.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
HOLY CRAP! you have the most interesting life. Most of us do wheeling for recreational use and exploration but like the challenge, those trails seem life or death. how was the TJ inadequate for the trail? To me you seemed to have it all set up strategically with the low COG, good tires, stripped carpet etc.

Ron B

sounds really awesome! ...from here on my sofa!

Seriously, it would be great to participate in a camel trophy style event while I am still vertical.

The craziest trail I have been on is Pritchett. But I was riding shotgun (my truck was supposed to be done but was stuck in the shop) and did only a small amount of driving. There are some crazy pics of Rick on Fordyce, but I don't think he is on here. Impressive for stock vehicles.

Last edited:

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
HOLY CRAP! you have the most interesting life. Most of us do wheeling for recreational use and exploration but like the challenge, those trails seem life or death. how was the TJ inadequate for the trail? To me you seemed to have it all set up strategically with the low COG, good tires, stripped carpet etc.

The Twilight Zone I did in my Mitsubishi L200 pickup. It was my delivery truck and only had a miserable 4 cylinder 2.5 turbo diesel engine with IFS and leafs in the rear. The TJ would have been spectacular. Only the year I returned with it, we ended up somewhere else in the jungle. Still tough but not as challenging.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Sewie

Toughest would have to be Fordyce. Even if it hadn't snowed that trip, it very likely might have still kicked my ass. :)

Rubicon and Golden Spike would be the runners up.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
my toughest trail isn't near the scale you guys are at. One day I hope to run the rubicon moab and fordyce. Id love to wheel out of the country but I doubt that will happen.

Al do you feel the H3 you have setup is capable to do that stuff? Minus removing the carpets and little stuff.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Al do you feel the H3 you have setup is capable to do that stuff? Minus removing the carpets and little stuff.

If it wasn't for the BCM and auto transmission I'd say yeah. Especially the BCM. If I can't find a way of getting rid of it, or waterproofing it 100%, I would never risk anything away from civilization. Tranny could have a solution, spending a lot of money, but still is not a guarantee compared to manual transmission.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope my toughest trail story changes each time I go out. John Bull was fun and even trails we have run numerous times before can change and become very different and difficult trails as evidenced by 2N17X and Gold Mountian.

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
To do list when I am still in well enough shape:

Camel Trophy

Fordyce Creek

Pritchet Canyon

2n17X

Blackbear

Durango

+ many more

Dream- Take a year off or somewhere around there, and go from coast to coast wheeling at as many stops as possible.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
If it wasn't for the BCM and auto transmission I'd say yeah. Especially the BCM. If I can't find a way of getting rid of it, or waterproofing it 100%, I would never risk anything away from civilization. Tranny could have a solution, spending a lot of money, but still is not a guarantee compared to manual transmission.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

You cant mate up a manual with the V8? I mean it would require cutting up the center section too but isnt it still possible?

As for the BCM I have no idea where to begin but I am sure you can figure it out..whatever the soultion is just make 2 and send one to me :)