• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Tire upgrades for the H2

The_Mountain

I'm burning through the Falken Wildpeaks currently mounted on my truck. I've already lost 1/4" of tread with only 5000 miles on them. So I'm already thinking about what comes next. I do plan to use my truck offroad a fair amount, and where I live, that means steep hills, loose rotted rock, mud, sandy riverbottoms, and a fair amount of slick surfaces and loose dirt. I like the OEM BFG A/T, and I know they have good treadwear and good overall traction, are decently quiet on the highway, and are generally the benchmark for all-terrain tires. I just doubt their ability to handle more hard-core offroading here. So I'm looking at tires with more aggressive treads. I'm considering the Goodyear Duratrac and MT/R, the Firestone Destination, and three tires from Interco: the SSR, the Irok ND, and the TRXUS. I've had the old-school bias-ply Super Swampers on a truck in the past, so I more or less know what to expect with the SSR. I know nothing about the Irok or the TRXUS. I also know very little about the Destination or the Goodyears. I do not want to change rim size and my truck isn't lifted, so I'm sticking to near-OEM for now.

So, if anyone here has run any of these on their truck, I'd be interested to hear about your experiences, particularly tire wear and road noise, but also whether any of these tires (or another brand) complements the H2's offroad capability particularly well. I realize that none of these tires are going to be as quiet as the Wildpeak or the BFG on the highway. I also know that the SSR and the TRXUS use flotation sizing, so they're going to be just slightly taller than the OEM tire (the others are all available in the correct OEM size). I also know that the three Interco tires are also heavier than the BFG; in the case of the SSR, by 20 pounds per tire. This is going to affect braking, but how much?

Fish

A lot of us have BFG KM2's. I think they do well off road and are fairly quiet on the road for a mud tire. I went with 37's and the H2 handles well with them. I can't speak for tread life as I don't have too many miles on them yet but they seem to be hanging in there.

Big2dabank

I had trxus, goodyear mtrs, and now toyo MTs and my favorite by far were the goodyear mtrs. They are all good, but for my type of wheeling, sand, mud, muck, and limestone rocks, the goodyears seam to be better overall and I got 4 years out of them. I only got 3 out of the trxus. Not sure I'll get 4 out of the toyos, they are pretty soft, so they may only last about three also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had great results with the Nitto Trail Grapplers M/T, they are sturdy, durable, do not make that much road noise at all, and had been rolling for about 5+ I actually still have thread on them, but I got new XD rims, so I replaced the tires with the same exact Nitto Trail Grapplers M/T's I had before.

Zach

Mall Crawler
I would stay away from the Duratracs. Seems the sidewall is very weak. On my third set of BFG KM2's, excellent tire for off-road. On road it does good. Key thing with them, rotate them. BFG came out with the AT KO2, a little more aggressive than the stock KO. Good looking tire

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
I have nittos TG M/T and toyos open country M/T ( same thing) on all of my tracks.exe,ent sidewall protection 2 of them had a sidewall cuts for past 5k and I still wheel and use them regularly.

Scarsman

Sponsor
I've absolutely loved my Cooper STTs. They've wheeled snow, mud, NW rocks and roots, sand, Moab rock, and have been awesome. From what my tires have been through, I don't think you can find a tougher sidewall anywhere. Right now I have 44,000 miles on them, and they will absolutely hit 50,000 and still be legal and drivable.

Sad thing is, they've been discontinued. They have replaced them with the new STT Pro. It's the same carcass with new tread design. They say it is better in every way than the STT, but for some reason I just can't get excited about the tread design.

I'm thinking of maybe going with the MTR Kevlar next time. They've always kind of intrigued me.

Another option is the Pitbull Rocker radial. They now make it in a 35 and a 37x12.50-17.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The_Mountain

Great stuff! And good to know the trxus is as soft as you say. I'll give the MT/R a second look. I've heard Goodyear is one of the harder tires out there. The Pitbull Rocker is a bit more aggressive than I want to go; I do still have to drive a fair amount on the road.