• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

The "Bone Yard" in Tucson AZ‏

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Messages
6,561
Location
Arizona
The Bone Yard near Davis-Monthan Air Force Base -Tucson, Arizona

Remember - Each one of these had a multi-million dollar price tag!

boneyard1.jpg


For those of you who have never seen this in person, it is something to see. The precision in they way they are stored and parked is impressive.

boneyard2.jpg


It's difficult to comprehend the size of the 'Bone Yard' (over 2,600 acres) and the number of aircraft (over 4,200) stored there. Of course, the most important thing to remember is that thay are all capable of being returned to service at a moment's notice if the need ever arises.

boneyard3.jpg


If you are ever in the Tucson area, the weekly tours of the Bone Yard are still given through the Tucson Air Museum, located just south of Davis-Monthan AFB.

boneyard4.jpg


Both, the museum and the Bone Yard are very popular attractions in the Arizona desert. It's difficult to comprehend the number of military aircraft in dead storage until you see these photographs or visit it in person!

boneyard5.jpg



Even if you have seen this before, look again. The 3rd largest Air Force in the world is sitting on the ground here.

Here's a link with a lot more info.

http://www.amarcexperience.com/AMARCDescription.asp


 
Last edited:

LagunaH1

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,730
Location
Idaho
How recent are these photos? I ask because one photo shows a bunch of F-14's and I recall reading how these retired jets were being destroyed for rather obscure reasons
 

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Messages
6,561
Location
Arizona
How recent are these photos? I ask because one photo shows a bunch of F-14's and I recall reading how these retired jets were being destroyed for rather obscure reasons

Mikkel, I haven't been out there in about 4 years & they still had F-14s then. The AMARC website still shows that they have 187 F-14s in storage. They keep the site fairly current but you could always try calling and asking.

http://www.amarcexperience.com/AMARCArticleF14Tomcat.asp
 

LagunaH1

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,730
Location
Idaho
A friend of mine used to work for Grumman when they were building the F-14D so for some reason I like the Tomcat a lot. -Doesn't hurt that the F-14 was the plane they flew in "Top Gun"
 

FormerUser

Well-Known Member
Messages
179
I'll have to check the AMARC website, but I believe most of those BUF's were guillotined at the wings and fore/aft fuselage as part of the START(strategic arms reduction treaty) agreement. Last I heard they had a couple C5-A's, B1 Lancers and a whole slew of F16's(lawn darts). I think Pakistan's F16 Block D models were/are stored out there.
 

Yarjammer

Well-Known Member
Messages
63
Location
Woodinville, WA
How recent are these photos? I ask because one photo shows a bunch of F-14's and I recall reading how these retired jets were being destroyed for rather obscure reasons

I believe the F-14's, as well as most of the choppers are essentially skeletons. The market for F-14 parts is heavily protected by the US due to Iran having them. The same goes for many of the helicopters having found their way into our adversaries hands.
 

05Mudiak

Well-Known Member
Messages
731
Location
Lake Charles, LA
We have a few B-52s over there in "long term storage" meaning they are the ones that can be returned to service. All the other are used for parts. As for the chopping up I think they did chop alot of them. I think it was anything older than the G model not sure exactly I do know over the last couple years they did chop up quit a few,
. The G & H's have a lot of interchangable parts. Since we can not get a lot of parts new anymore we get a lot of parts through AMARC
 

Sierra H3

Well-Known Member
Messages
150
Location
Central Sierras
Bone Yards

Bone yards are very cool. I remember steaming into the Bremerton Navy "bone yard" in the 1980s. It still had the USS New Jersey (Battleship), USS Missouri (Battleship), USS Chicago (Heavy Cruiser), USS Oklahoma City (Heavy Cruiser), USS Hornet (WWII Aircraft Carrier), USS Bon Homme Richard (WWII Aircraft Carrier), and many WWII tin cans (Destroyers) that basically won the war in the Pacific. So much history most people never got to see. By the way, DMAFB cut up the BGM-109 ground launched cruise missile airframes of the program that I worked on at GDC upon leaving active duty. I guess they do a lot of decommissioning out there.
 

LagunaH1

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,730
Location
Idaho
I believe the F-14's, as well as most of the choppers are essentially skeletons. The market for F-14 parts is heavily protected by the US due to Iran having them. The same goes for many of the helicopters having found their way into our adversaries hands.

Ah yes, Right, I remember reading something but had forgotten why it was the F14 needed to be protected like that. A firend of mine used to work for Grumman when they were building the later model F14's so I am fond of the Tomcat :)
 
Top