• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Sunroof drains...more tips...

4speedfunk

Like with most items on the H3, it's not a question of "if?"...but rather "when?" Eventually all of us will get clogged sunroof drains. Recently I ran across a great video on Youtube, (originally linked from another Hummer forum). This guy has some great ideas, and it spurred me into trying my own stab at a similar fix. Here's the video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LauhT2j52A

After watching the vid, I have a few changes and differences of opinion. First of all...the comment about "small hands" is very true. I'm more Trump-ish than Rubio-ish in this area. I have freakishly large hands, and the access hole on the passenger-side is very tight....
e9f16764965f014d2934a795a32781ad.jpg

Upon a closer examination...I could find no reason not to cut the opening larger. Not only will this allow me to get my hand in there...but it also allows me to take a photo of the mysterious firewall fitting. The orange thing, is a 6-foot long piece of weed-eater line. I totally recommend using this as opposed to air pressure or wire. The guy in the video said he dragged a piece of rag thru the tube but, I would caution against doing this. If the rag somehow detaches from your pull-string...you are totally screwed. Use the weed-eater line...it works great...
b56b7e606a050edcfd873be043532835.jpg

Cordless drill with a cut-off. Its pretty much the Hummer owner's best friend....
0521904cae55f1f89d083f0ac7cbaf16.jpg

Chop!...
9b35f26933bd1edb22b30a5b0b165a7d.jpg

I did try using some air pressure but, I would caution against overdoing this. Too much pressure will probably blow the hoses off the fittings at the roof gutter. So I kept the regulator set around 40psi. I'm not sure I would recommend air at all, until you cut the "x"s out of the firewall fittings....
5174f2d8feefeaaf8a747be8197d0155.jpg

Here's a shot of the passenger-side fitting. Once you cut the hand-hole larger...its pretty easy to get to. The grommets simply pull out from the inside. Once you get them out you can cut out the little "x" that seems to capture all the muck. Start by pull the tubes off the grommets. Then jamb the weed-eater line in from the sunroof and gently poke it thru the tube. Be warned...each tube will puke a cup or more of goo, once you break the blockage.
862d3744ca1e21954c94012668b1abe1.jpg

There was a tremendous amount of water under the carpet...probably a couple gallons. Notice the location of the BCM connector? GM couldn't have found a worse place for it...
2dac5d7b897f001b8e6a12354c79a137.jpg

The guy in the video said to use a drill. NOT! This doesn't work. So just grab an X-acto (or a medical grade scalpel) and cut the "x" out...
1b56f95a7aa1675aa4b7cdf75cd394bf.jpg

I used a shop vac to get most of the water out. Then peeled up the carpet to let it air dry. I'll probably leave it that way for a couple weeks...
2fc8d9ce56126c5a946acb4323ae36e4.jpg

This is the connector at the base of the "waterfall". I suspect this is the problem with many H3's doing crazy electrical stuff. This wiring will get flooded with rainwater when the drain tubes get clogged. I did hit it with some compressed air to remove the moisture from all the nooks & crannies of the plug. I will spray it will silicone prior to re-assembly, to chase any more moisture away from it. I will also add some corrigated wire moulding as I was surprised (not really) that GM simply taped this harness and flopped it under the carpet in such a high-traffic area...
788aa7b580cdce8ce37fe1817583da1b.jpg

The drivers-side is a piece of cake. The fitting is directly behind the face of the tach. The guy in the video had all of his interior trim removed but, I left pretty much everything in place. The drivers-side doesn't require any trim removal. The passenger-side only requires removal of the sill plate, kick panel, and end panel of the dash. I've heard of guys going this same mod thru the fender wells but, I did this entirely from the interior side of the truck. Also some guys have recommended "taping" the ends of the tubes to the grommets but, that seems like it would make future de-clogs even more difficult...so I did not use any tape. I'll give this a try and see how it holds up.

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Nice fix, keep us posted...my fix was not having a sunroof. In all honesty id love to have one so that comment is out of jealousy :D

Woodtick

Nice write up! I just did mine after work today. I would agree with just reaching up and doing the driver side. I didn't have any surgical tools.A needle nose pliers pulled the 4 tabs out of the bulk head fitting in short order. I did have to use a small screw driver to clean the muck out of the end of the drain line. Then the weed eater line was able to do the rest. The line I used was .095, anything smaller would be hard to push through. The back drains don't have the BS tabs on the end,so they typically don't get plugged.

4speedfunk

I couldn't even find the rear drains. Seems like all the problems are with the front ones.
And I seriously think leveled H3s will have a harder time draining!

4speedfunk

And for the record...my sunroof worked for the first week of ownership. After that...it's never closed without me holding down the black plastic thingy.

Woodtick

My 06 was upgraded to the 2010 or 2009 style. If I recall it was a $1500 warranty repair. They changed everything but the glass. It made all the problems go away. My dealer had a bullittin on the upgrade.

Ordieh

Just pour the cleaning product CLEAN SHOWER in the tray and in most cases the drains will start to drip after a few minutes. Repeat a few times and they will drain properly. After that, spray enough into the tray until you see it drip out the fender wells every time you change oil!
It works, and no I'm not associated with the manufacturer of the product CLEAN SHOWER.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I did use air to clear my lines, but did so by pulling down the headliner a bit, pulling the hose off the sunroof fitting and then putting a lot of air through. It was jammed up and finally the air pushed the dirt through.

rascole

Just pour the cleaning product CLEAN SHOWER in the tray and in most cases the drains will start to drip after a few minutes. Repeat a few times and they will drain properly. After that, spray enough into the tray until you see it drip out the fender wells every time you change oil!
It works, and no I'm not associated with the manufacturer of the product CLEAN SHOWER.
I would advise against using any chemical cleaner. If there is any leak and the cleaner gets to the wiring it will be toast. It can also degrade the rubber and make it brittle.

Tengo1

I did the same thing after watching the same YouTube video about 3 months ago. First time I went through the car wash after buying my H3 back in November I got a lap full of water raining down from the sun roof after driving out of the bay. I could also hear water sloshing above my head for about 5 minutes after.

Luckily I was able to jam my hand up in there on the passenger side to disconnect and connect it without to much trouble. As you said, driver side is cake.

Also, I don't know what size of drill bit you tried, but I used a drill like the guy does in the video and it worked perfectly. About 2 minutes of back and forth on the bit with each grommet and it smoothed them right out and completely removed the little + piece.

I took my H3 back through the same car wash after and no water in my lap, no water sloshing above my head. Works great.

K0PIR

My rear ones are clogged. Where I normally park the vehicle isn't level and the rear is lower. That's why I have trouble. So I just have to remember to park the other way around when we have a storm. If I could find the rear tubes I would probably tackle the problem someday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

chaos254

My rear ones are clogged. Where I normally park the vehicle isn't level and the rear is lower. That's why I have trouble. So I just have to remember to park the other way around when we have a storm. If I could find the rear tubes I would probably tackle the problem someday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Rears are easily accessible once you remove the rear cargo panels.

Josey

Suspected a leak so I recently worked on the front passenger drain. Removed the star section in the grommet which was not blocked. Problem, the drain tube was disconnected at the sunroof outlet. Found the problem after running some weed eater line through the drain at the sunroof. Lowering the roof liner was not to bad. Is their a trick to completely removing the grab handle screws? They backed out but not completely.

Hopkins86

I actually had my back door hold water I kept hearing water slosh around and I checked around never found any thing till I open my door and then I realized it was in the back door the drain hole was plugged with dirt I blew it out and got like 3 gal of water crazy huh

4speedfunk

Another full-on soaker rolled thru last night. Came out this morning to check...floorboards are dry!
Also over the weekend I cleaned and lubed the sunroof mechanism...seems to be working correctly. It now closes by itself...something it hasn't done for seven years.
Much thanks to all the sunroof posters that have developed this complex surgical solution!

Traxx

If you can't blow, then suck...A real easy way to clean the drains is just get a few adapters for the ol shop vac, a few seconds and your done, no worries about blowing the lines off.