• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Seat cover replacement

MilamJR

beefac32e7f595c8ebeb355d03f62451.jpg

No. The covers are new. Look up this seller on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeepwalker

Original Poster:

Did you order the new seat cover, or what did you decide to do?

You never did post a picture of your seat cover issues. Could you do that?

Thanks

H3ALPHA

I have not ordered them yet.

Still seeking the best option.

1. GM parts, still negotiating with the parts dealer.
2. USA Auto that was recommended, does not have the pattern, so they have requested that I send them the current covers so they can duplicate them. Waiting on the price from them
3. Locally have them done at the price mentioned above.

This is what has prompted the need:

IMG-7352.jpg

H3ALPHA

beefac32e7f595c8ebeb355d03f62451.jpg

No. The covers are new. Look up this seller on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't find them on eBay, but located their site.

Pricing wise is roughly $700 for both seats, but require I send the current ones to them (which is a whole other ball of wax) and then been instructed to look for a video on how to install.

New OEM covers are around $900 +$300 installed.
New manufactured locally, installed, $1500
USA would come in around $1000 installed.

Will update on which direction I will go.

Jeepwalker

Is that the only damage? I didn't realize they were black. That would change the 'matching' equation.

What about the bottoms and pass seat?

Another option might be to ask a couple upholsterers how much to repair. They would remove the cover, unstitch the old piece, and sew in new. It might even be they may have a piece of scrap they could use from a previous project. This is the kind of thing higher end car dealers do on BMW's and other expensive vehicle where an accident may occur (getting into the car with a letter-opener in the back pocket). It might be worth calling the service dept, or stopping in to some of the nicer used car dealers and talking to the detail dept, or bodyshop. See who they use.

H3ALPHA

Is that the only damage? I didn't realize they were black. That would change the 'matching' equation.

What about the bottoms and pass seat?

Another option might be to ask a couple upholsterers how much to repair. They would remove the cover, unstitch the old piece, and sew in new. It might even be they may have a piece of scrap they could use from a previous project. This is the kind of thing higher end car dealers do on BMW's and other expensive vehicle where an accident may occur (getting into the car with a letter-opener in the back pocket). It might be worth calling the service dept, or stopping in to some of the nicer used car dealers and talking to the detail dept, or bodyshop. See who they use.

Officially they are ebony with pewter piping.

Repair would be $180, but no guarantee of a match, in that it will stand out.

The referral I got was a shop that does everything from Lambo's to vintage autos, so the job will be great.

My H3 is in great shape, this just prompted me to refresh the seats.

Also, looking into other parts to replace (ie, sills, kick panels, cowl grille, etc.) too shave a few years off of it.

Jeepwalker

I get it. Didn't know if a 'repair' had been discussed. Sounds like you did your homework and have options.

Jeepwalker

If you were inclined to save bucks, I would think a repair on basically black, would turn out pretty well, and any subtle differences would become almost undetectable after a period. The upholsterer's smart, I don't think any wise upholsterer would provide a guarantee of a match (or fit) unless they were making all brand new seat covers. That's the kind of business where it's easy to get burned and I'm sure he (or she) has a few times. It's the kind of craft where customers under-appreciate the skill and amt of work it takes ..and variations between leathers. Especially if he's done high-end work like you say (wealthy people are notorious for not paying their bills and conniving how to get out of bills).

You might ask if he (or she) has a book of swatches, or any scrap black pieces around from previous jobs you could hold up and compare (and approve). If not, another option would be to consider some free swatches (online) to compare, and find what's acceptable.

Leather if cared for properly, can last a LONG time. It's possible the leather seat covers on your rig now could last 25 years with care. Not likely, but possible. But for the better bang, new pre-made seat covers probably make the most sense. Then you'd almost surely be set for the next 10 years and beyond, if you plan to keep it that long. I'm often tempted to do a repair that saves a few bucks but this might be one of those jobs where all new seat covers makes sense.

Sorry, just thinking out loud here.

Last edited:

Traxx

The effort of repairing, restitching etc is generally not worth the cost or hassle nor is it likely to match. Simplest easiest solution is Katzkins with the added bonus of having them made whatever color you want. It's quite a bit nicer leather than the oem stuff.

IMG_1106.JPG

Jeepwalker

Those look REALLY nice. I've heard on other forms people using them.

Are they all leather, or just seating surfaces? Do they give ya the option to install yourself, or not? Can you share about what the costs ended up being?

Last edited:

Traxx

They were around 1400 front and rear, just depends on the options you choose. Not difficult to install just requires a bit of patience, I also put in heated seats in the rear while it was apart. Ordered them through shopsar, took around two weeks to be built and delivered. The worst part of the whole install was getting the center console cover on straight, took quite awhile because I am picky.