• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Rowher Flats Recovery Gone Wrong

Acer4LO

i-VQq9HHc-L.jpg

So every few weeks or so a there is a crazy truck related video that goes viral on the internet. Well today I came across one of these videos that I felt like I needed to share. The video is of a recovery situation gone horribly wrong due to inexperienced/ineffective spotters and driver. No one was hurt but the situation but this was an easy trail fix and the whole thing could have been prevented. To give some context this incident happened in Rowher flats (Santa Clarita California) to a driver of a 2017 Tacoma trd offroad from what I gather. Apparently his U-Bolts broke or were loose because he added new leafs and did not do it correctly. Then some of his friends jumped into help.

VIDEO:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhU1cXenmbj/?taken-by=mgs_sniperwolf

After that a wheeler by the Instagram name of hardtaco16 came after this had happened and helped to recover:

Pictures and Videos of Recovery: (Click on the arrows to slide to the different vids and pics, there are 10 total)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhVf7ObD5bo/?taken-by=hardtaco16

Another Recovery Vid:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhXGBRhDAWV/?taken-by=hardtaco16

The thing that makes me the most mad here is lack of common sense from everyone. This includes the guy who was pulling him in the first video, the driver, and the spotters. Not only did this driver get his brand new truck destroyed: others were put in danger helping him to recover the truck. I have seen plenty of 4x4 fails on YouTube but this really sticks out to me them most. Be safe out there guys. One more thing, remember to check your U-Bolts!

i-538G2gb-L.jpg

i-Jw3bH9c-XL.jpg

i-mxSjZkC-XL.jpg

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Wow, how were all four wheels locked up?

A little homework and prep needs to be done before heading out. Gave a tug to an FJ last week and he didn't know how to attach a recovery strap to the D rings on his front bumper.

JPaul

Some new ubolts, some duct tape, a bit of spit and a rag and that thing will be good as new...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Acer4LO

Gave a tug to an FJ last week and he didn't know how to attach a recovery strap to the D rings on his front bumper.

There is just something about guys with newer Toyota models. More money than sense I guess. Lol I pulled out an FJ guy before. He had zero recovery equipment and looked like he was ready to hit the golf course.

JPaul

"You see Ivan, if you remove rear axle there is no wheels to get bogged down in sand or mud. It like sled and float on surface."

Acer4LO

Kinda curious as to everything that he broke. I would say:

· ABS lines

· Brake lines
· Driveshaft
· Exhaust/Muffler
· Leaf Mounts
· Leaf Springs
· Locker line
· Pinion
· Shocks
· Swaybar
· U Bolts

Non-Suspension Damage
· Badly scratched undercarriage
· Mud guards
· Rear bumper
· Tailgate

The guy responded to everyone on another forum. He claims that the only things he needs fixed are: driveshaft, shocks, leaf springs and brake cables. Also he claims insurance is picking up the tab and he is going to pay 2k.

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
What’s crazy is how I lived 15 min from that trail! I’ve done COUNTLESS recovery’s there and it’s usually because inexperienced wheelers stay pretty local.

Alrock, I heard he had it in Park when being pulled back too...then with loose u bolts it caused problems

awalsh

Wow that's ridiculous
But hey I saw a Tacoma last week trying to pull out a rav 4 stuck in a ditch with a ratchet strap.. Guess it runs deep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Alrock, I heard he had it in Park when being pulled back too...then with loose u bolts it caused problems

Sounds like a good strategy as the truck won't roll away if the strap breaks.

We stopped to check on a group wheeling in a new lifted rig here in AZ that was on the side of the trail. Normally, we'd lend a hand but once we figured out that he hadn't tightened the bolts on his new lift, grenaded a couple of axles and the front diff, and the suspension was all out of place, we tiptoed out of there vs. spending 8 hours getting this stranger off of the trail. Maybe a bit selfish, but he had friends and could get himself off the trail even if he couldn't easily get his truck off the trail.

Acer4LO

Maybe a bit selfish, but he had friends and could get himself off the trail even if he couldn't easily get his truck off the trail.

I would probably would have left too. I am always happy to recover a rig that is stuck even if it is tricky, but spending the entire day trying to slowly recover an immobile rig because the owner wasn't smart enough to check his u bolts is a whole other thing. Also it puts unnecessary stress on you if something were to break while helping.

Acer4LO

This is the drivers profile. Read the comment. Dannnnnng.

i-bMKBt9W-X3.jpg

Looks like he is not paying 2K like he said earlier. What's your estimate to fix?

JPaul

He is probably not making a claim because his insurance company would either deny it because he was offroading or jack up his rates if they did cover him.

I agree though, $2K will probably cover the repairs, especially if he does the work himself, though he doesn't seem bright enough to manage that.

Traxx

I love how there are 15 self centered people standing around with their cell phone in hand watching the axle being ripped out and not one seems bright enough to say hey maybe we should take a pause here....