• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3T Power Steering Pump Replacement

Mr_Rich

This was a fairly straight forward and easy job. The one thing is should've realized is that the pump shaft is a smaller diameter than my K1500, for instance, and the installation tool actually pushed the pulley too deep on the shaft and I didn't notice this until I removed the tool. I had to use the puller to adjust the depth on the pulley. That was the color of the original factory fill. It looked pretty nasty. It probably wouldn't hurt for everyone to replace the fluid in the pump before they have a problem like I did.

Santa Maria Valley-20130218-00105.jpgSanta Maria Valley-20130218-00103.jpgSanta Maria Valley-20130218-00109.jpg

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I need to replace my PS pump, PS line, and steering rack. It lasted 102k miles so I cant bitch...Especially it has been leaking for months now, up until that point I was good and if I fixed my leaking line right away the pump would probably still be ok! Thats another heads up guys lol

Did you use a rebuild or new factory pump? Never done one of these before. Not sure what to expect...

Mr_Rich

I used an H4O sponsor: GMPartsHouse.com and bought a new pump. It had a tag that it was "Made in Spain" and it was identical to the original factory installed pump.

Santa Maria Valley-20130218-00108.jpg

Just pay attention to the depth that you press the pulley on the new pump and you will be okay. You need a long handled ratchet or breaker bar to remove the tension on the serp. belt. That is a pretty stout spring. You need to remove the air box to allow room to work. That is the easiest part of the job.

4speedfunk

So far, I've got parts from Spain, Mexico, Brazil, Canada, India...assembled in Shreveport.

Anybody else got origin info? Lets keep track of where all the parts come from...I'm curious to see just how "global" GM is these days.

Mr_Rich

So far, I've got parts from Spain, Mexico, Brazil, Canada, India...assembled in Shreveport.

Anybody else got origin info? Lets keep track of where all the parts come from...I'm curious to see just how "global" GM is these days.

You left out China (Grrrr....)
I recently ordered new parking light housings on my '98 Firebird. The old ones were yellowed and cracked allowing moisture in to affect the bulbs. The new ones are Made in China.

Mr_Rich

Do you have a part # or link?

How do u set the depth?

Normally the pulley bottoms out when the installation tool meets the top of the pump shaft, like my K1500, for example. The smaller diameter of the H3 PS pump shaft actually fits inside the recess of the installation tool so you have to back off the tool to keep checking the progress as the pulley is pressed on to the shaft. Once the front of the pulley is even with the end of the PS pump shaft you're done!

Mr_Rich

I really wanted to use the Redline Power Steering Fluid I had on hand, but I remembered previous discussions about H3's needing the GM amber colored fluid. I also had a bottle of Valvoline PS Fluid (amber-colored) on hand, and that is what I used.

RamRod

Looks like this is something I will have to replace soon, the power steering was extremly weak on the last trail run and I noticed that its starting to make the groaning sound while driving on the street.

Looks like it should be striaght forward, disconnect the lines, remove the belt, take off mounting bolts, pull the pully then reverse the order and put it back together?

Any special tools required?

Mr_Rich

Looks like this is something I will have to replace soon, the power steering was extremly weak on the last trail run and I noticed that its starting to make the groaning sound while driving on the street.

Looks like it should be striaght forward, disconnect the lines, remove the belt, take off mounting bolts, pull the pully then reverse the order and put it back together?

Any special tools required?

You just need a power steering pulley puller. I think I previously mentioned you have to be careful about bottoming out the pulley since the shaft is a slightly smaller diameter than the tool and you can press the pulley too far down the pump shaft. I did that so I want to warn against doing same. Remove the air box also, but that is easy.

beadyeye

Hey guys, would I need to replace the whole pump if I'm seeing a leak where the resevoir meets the pump?

f18dd379aabb00ada631e1d899824ef4.jpg

ab52e94468290ed022d2c88741b63192.jpg

Enter Hummer

Generic puller? I don't think so. You need a puller/ install tool specific to power steering pumps. You could probably rent one from AutoZone, possibly?

Hey, dont mean to revive an old thread but I thought this would be helpful. So I did my pump today and all I used was a puller (not a specific pump puller, one of those ones with 2 hooks) a couple bolts, washers and a wrench. Once it was out of the truck, I hooked the inside edge of the pulley with the puller and stuck the puller inside the shaft (so the puller wouldnt fall over) and just started cranking on it til it came off. Pretty much destroyed the inside of the shaft of the pump but it was trash anyways and the pulley was fine. To put it on the new pump I put the pulley on the shaft, put 2 thick washers on top of that, and put a bolt through all of that into the threads in the shaft. I tightned down the bolt and the washers kept the pulley from going on too far.

If you've got a specific puller, that would be easier. Buuuuut you CAN do it with a generic puller because I did.

vancelot69

Probationary Member
Do I need to remove the torx bolt before using the puller? If yes, is it reverse thread? It feels tight af and I don't want to strip it going the wrong way.

Last edited:

Mr_Rich

Do I need to remove the torx bolt before using the puller? If yes, is it reverse thread? It feels tight af and I don't want to strip it going the wrong way.

I don't recall a Torx bolt that you could be referring to. ??? I removed the air box when I did the job. I'm pretty sure I remember that but not much else.

lowtrac

Glad to hear it wasn’t that big of a deal. I’ve got one in the box waiting to go in. I’ve been putting it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoreh3

I think that’s where my small drip is coming from. Glad to hear it’s not that bad of a job. Thanks