• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Poll: To trade-in or not to trade-in? THAT is the question

Trade-in or build-up?

• Total voters

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
If trading up, go up to 08. An 07 powertrain warranty will run out in 2012 by years, and maybe sooner with mileage.
Know the history of the vehicle. One the best places to purchase H3s a year or two ago was MI. Many GM employees were purchasing them as soccer mom vehicles. (Same holds true for Jeeps.) Not that many were off-roaded. However, there were some so you always need to know the history of the vehicle.

Of course, you can keep the 06 and off-road it as it is. There are some here who off-roaded the heck out of non-adventure models (Alrock for example). Or, if you can work on the vehicle yourself, you can install your own locker and low range t/case, and that is basically the main differences between the models. Larger tires are no problem, and the shock...well, just get some good aftermarket shocks or the OEM adventure series shocks. If you decide to keep the 06 and do some serious upgrades, just ask, I can get you all the wiring schematics you need for the 06 so you could wire in the locker with no problem; it will be a separate switch unlike the factory setup. Can even explain how to wire it so it will only operte in 4-wheel LO, or you can set it up to engage in any gear (not advisable but many do).

In the end, the decision is yours.

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
The obvious thing to do is trade up to a deuce.
This is a no-brainer. No need to worry about "Alpha" package, lockers, blah blah blah. Unless, of course you just like the drama of dealing with a 3.
Up to '07 had the 4 speed 6 liter, 08-09 was 6.2 w/6 speed.
I've run the deuce every where I ran the 3, so don't give me that crap about bigger trucks--your paint's gonna take a beating if you wheel.
This pretty much all came to me the other day as the deuce was PULLING up a hill with no input from me---it just wants to go up hills. When I drove up ANY hill in the 3, well, that was the story of The Little Engine That Could (but didn't really want to)........

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
:agree::)

Or upgrade to the best of the best: H1:thumbs:

But id rather have a hummer than no hummer at all! The itch has taken a toll on me and i am afraid that if i sell mine that i will just buy even more:wink:

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
HUMMER INVESTMENTSINC. said:
Or upgrade to the best of the best: H1:thumbs:
I'll probably get beat with a stick (or many) from the H1 guys on this--but I've done ALOT of reading on the H1's, and unless you're driving an "Alpha" (here we go again!), your rig is going to be underpowered and having problems with shafts. Not only that, it's heavier than hell and slow as a turtle---as in 0-60 in 18 seconds from one of the write-ups I'd read. Oh man, and don't get me started on overheating, that's a fun issue for the 1's altogether!

So going to a 1 seems ALOT to me like going BACK to a 3--what can I do to get more power, blah blah blah.......

Last edited:

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
The TDs aren't that bad, especially from 2001 and up or the older ones with the replacement heavy block. They do what they were designed for very well. What they weren't designed for was doing 75 mph up mountain roads with the AC going full blast. As to the half shafts I have seen very few break. A lot of that is wheeling style. You can also upgrade from the 10.3 to 12.1 half shafts and solve a lot of that problem also.

MaxPF

AGNTSA
H1's are cool, but my biggest complaint is their width. They were built that way for a reason - the military wanted all their tactical vehicles to fall within a certain range of track width, from HMMWV's to medium trucks to tanks. Unfortunately, it makes them a tight fit for many trails that were built around regular pickups, jeeps, or horse-drawn carriages/carts :( They are also limited in breakover angle due to their ground clearance and wheelbase, and lifting them is NOT a simple matter.

As long as you are willing to use an H1 within it's stock capabilities, they have a lot of good points. IMO, an H2 or H3, being built on chassis similar to pickup trucks and using many of the same parts, are more practical for the majority of real wheeling most of us do, and they are more modifiable as well.

skeptic

If trading up, go up to 08. An 07 powertrain warranty will run out in 2012 by years, and maybe sooner with mileage.
This is why my original post suggested 08+. Extra year on the powertrain warranty, and should have some bumper to bumper left as well (if under 50k miles).

skeptic

The obvious thing to do is trade up to a deuce.
This is a no-brainer. No need to worry about "Alpha" package, lockers, blah blah blah. Unless, of course you just like the drama of dealing with a 3.
Up to '07 had the 4 speed 6 liter, 08-09 was 6.2 w/6 speed.
I've run the deuce every where I ran the 3, so don't give me that crap about bigger trucks--your paint's gonna take a beating if you wheel.
This pretty much all came to me the other day as the deuce was PULLING up a hill with no input from me---it just wants to go up hills. When I drove up ANY hill in the 3, well, that was the story of The Little Engine That Could (but didn't really want to)........
Hmm... I seem to remember a certain hill, a tow strap, and an H2 on the verge of rolling.. Shortly followed by an H3t looking down a nasty steep loose rocked hill and seeing that H2 at the bottom.:huh:

:mock:

Seriously though, the I5 may be a bit underpowered on the highway and all, but offroad in 4 low with the 4:1 tc I've never felt I need more power.

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Hmm... I seem to remember a certain hill, a tow strap, and an H2 on the verge of rolling.. Shortly followed by an H3t looking down a nasty steep loose rocked hill and seeing that H2 at the bottom.

Seems you forgot the most important part.....

Me in the 2 with a crazy grin on my face! If I'm not about to roll it, I'm not having fun!!
Damn Jack, good to see you post up. I was telling my wife tonite what a crime it is to have the deuce sitting in the driveway with no rocks to climb. I think she likes it that way--alot......

Last edited:

skeptic

:cheers:

No rocks, but you should have plenty of mud. Mud is fun, but cleanup afterwards SUCKS!!!

delta88

Taint Licker
Thanks guys for all the input! Looks like H40 tribe has spoken: TRADE UP!

So..... I've seen this 2009 VICTORY RED H3 Adventure with 25k/mi for sale for $25k. What do you guys think? I should be able to walk in, crunch a few #'s with the trade-in and walk out with it. I spent some time today trying to figure out what I should do. My Jeep friends are telling me to go Jeep Rubicon and I keep flipping them the bird :gaah:

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Thanks guys for all the input! Looks like H40 tribe has spoken: TRADE UP!

So..... I've seen this 2009 VICTORY RED H3 Adventure with 25k/mi for sale for $25k. What do you guys think? I should be able to walk in, crunch a few #'s with the trade-in and walk out with it. I spent some time today trying to figure out what I should do. My Jeep friends are telling me to go Jeep Rubicon and I keep flipping them the bird :gaah:
An 09 would be a good upgrade even though it won't be green. Larger tie rods, bigger engine, front & rear lockers, 4:1 transfercase, what more could you ask for???................except green :wink:.

The price is good, I say go for it!

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I'm thinking you're in the right price neighborhood but should be able to bring them down $2000 or more.

delta88

Taint Licker
Hey guys thanks for all the feedback. After carving into the dealership I signed papers today and am a proud owner of the '09 Adventure! Pictures to come soon!!

delta88

Taint Licker
IMG00211-20111026-1707.jpg

I am sad to see my Green '06 go :shame:

BUT as with any ending there is a new beginning. Hail to the '09 Adventure! Looks like it was a mall crawler for sure. If anyone is interested in a Green H3 look up Pape Chevrolet in Portland Maine. It has about 101k/mi and runs like a champ. Like muTAINT said never forget your first. Thanks guys for the support. I'll soon be adding some other polls in regards to the mods I'm looking at.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Nice, nice, nice. Like you said, as with any ending there is a new beginning - now you are ready to start over with a whole new "canvas" to paint on - no regrets - never look back! Life is about making each day better than the one before, plus now you have front & rear lockers, CI front diff, etc. etc. Nice swap. More pics please!!