• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Off road GPS Navigation apps

Hollywood

(Space For Rent)
I'm more an iOS guy but on the hardware side, keep an eye out the 4th Quarter of this hear for the Panasonic Toughbook Tablet. It's going to run on Android (would help me if they'd planned on Windows 8) so it should be an ideal solution for running any of the good offroad GPS apps that may exist for Android. I'm assuming docks will be abundant for the tablet so it should be easy to setup in the truck.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Loved my Toughbook laptop and think my iPad is great but I will have to check out the Toughbook tablet. I currently use MotionX

Hollywood

(Space For Rent)
Loved my Toughbook laptop and think my iPad is great but I will have to check out the Toughbook tablet. I currently use MotionX
I'm going to check them out as well to augment my iPad. Been talking with Panasonic about replacing the Toughbook in my company car with the new tablet but don't think that is going to pan out due to the OS being Android. Regardless, I'm very interested in giving it a whirl. Would be a home run with me if some tech guru devised a way to port iOS onto it.

H3-ING

AdventureTime
ip.jpg

I have been using MotionX on my iphone since the app first launched.
Now use it on the ipad.
It has so many features- waypoints, tracking ect.. and the ability to download road, terrain, hybrid and marine maps.

Steve #1

Would be a home run with me if some tech guru devised a way to port iOS onto it.

Most tech gurus know not to screw up a nice piece of hardware like that. :p

I run DeLorme Topo USA 7.0 on the carputer for offroad stuff. Garmin Mobile PC for on road.

cbetts

NERD!!!
I am a big fan of Locus Pro on my Droid as well. I discovered that using Locus with MapQuest images is the perfect combo. I am yet to find a trail not in MapQuest.

Nacho

Now with Chese
Has anyone tried Everytrail?
Seems to be more of a travel/social networking app but the funtreks guide books offer individual Trail guides through it.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Cbetts, you've been talking up this Locus Pro so now that I have an Android phone I had to get it. If it sucks I'm coming after you for that $5.68!:neo:

TXH3T

Hmmm im glad this thread was posted. I hate my topo map app other than showing basic stuff its useless. I shall be switching soon!

IndyHummers

I use motion x on my iPad. However it's only a wifi version and even though I jailbroke my iPhone and can turn it into a wifi hotspot, motion x doesn't want to work... Ugh...

cbetts

NERD!!!
I use motion x on my iPad. However it's only a wifi version and even though I jailbroke my iPhone and can turn it into a wifi hotspot, motion x doesn't want to work... Ugh...

I feel your pain. One good reason I chose Locus was the ability to download map tiles and save them locally. Of course, this was before I was educated on the fact that Google Maps does this already on the Droid.

H3-ING

AdventureTime
I should have clarified. MotionX requires the GPS chipset in the phone or pad to accurately work while you are out on the trail.The wifi connection will only allow you to download maps if connected but is not effective for determining position.

Kurt

I have the delorme North American software on my General Dynamics Itronix Gobook setup [similar to a toughbook with a GPS receiver intergrated] but I need to get around to installing it properly in the truck. I picked up a surplus vehicle dock like they have in police cruisers but I'll have to fabricate something for it.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Ram Mounts has a lot of good mounts for GPS, laptops, etc. You can buy components or the whole kit.

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
Anyone ever try these? I've always wanted to look at one in person.
http://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-140-...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B001QW0WKE

Looks similiar to the Lowrance unit I have in my boat....

http://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-10-Inch-Waterproof-Chartplotter-Transducer/dp/B001V4XI7G/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1316114779&sr=1-1

I can get streets/roads with my Lakemaps chip. Haven't used it to navigate streets though, obviously. They are real user friendly and pretty straight forward to use.

Last edited:

Big2dabank

Has anyone tried Everytrail?
Seems to be more of a travel/social networking app but the funtreks guide books offer individual Trail guides through it.

I heard some Rumors floating around that everytrail was run or sponsored by some of the same environmental groups that are try to shut down access to public lands for OHV use. Not sure if thats true, but I'm not supporting them until I find out different, there are much better apps out there.

I use Memory Map, its pricey, but it works well for what I do at work. I can georeference my own maps/aerials, site plans, etc.. and send them to my Iphone.