• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Off Road Build

4speedfunk

Hey...I want to jump in on this.

1. I have a Purple Crane cage on my H3....most of the time its nothing more than a mud-basket.
2. I've wheeled with Schwarttzy...He'll definitely have issues without a diff guard!

:giggle:

I would gladly swap out the PC for a plate type cover but, I'm not aware of anyone making them for the 8.6. Of course all it takes a gasket for a template, some 1/4" steel, a drain plug & bung....and about an hour. Hmmmm...

Last edited:

atvspeed4

Hey...I want to jump in on this.

1. I have a Purple Crane cage on my H3....most of the time its nothing more than a mud-basket.
2. I've wheeled with Schwarttzy...He'll definitely have issues without a diff guard!

:giggle:

I would gladly swap out the PC for a plate type cover but, I'm not aware of anyone making them for the 8.6. Of course all it takes a gasket for a template, some 1/4" steel, a drain plug & bung....and about an hour. Hmmmm...

I am 110% positive that the 8.6 has the identical cover as the 8.5. I know this because I have owned several S10 zr2s over the years my 95 had a 8.5 my 2003 had a 8.6. Both used identical covers. The link that was originally posted of the company "SOLID" sells an amazing cover for the 8.6/8.5

I am yet to smash my h3 cover but on the S10 zr2s I have smashed two.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I take offense at that. I may be good enough, but i don't like risking breaking parts when its not necessary! ;)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I think his point is that the jeepers are much more willing to throw themselves into damage then we are. Which is true...but at the same time I feel like some do. I try not to fear damage, weather its body or parts.

tapatalk_1312570007851.jpg

tapatalk_1312570021324.jpg

246869_2060532958480_1399356112_32360733_7860368_n.jpg

247139_10150204681017155_551297154_7662401_945776_n.jpg

2011-04-23_21-06-35_552.jpg

2011-04-24_16-24-28_718.jpg

Same spot where this guy went over

253668_2120919183210_1252714261_2512925_2552668_n.jpg

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
and my favorite lines from a jeep trail report on a jeep forum when I went on a trail run with them :)

"An XJ, YJ, TJ, FJ and err... hum gay ...just kiddin'...the hummer made the trail so much more interesting..."

"Was just kidding about the humvee, seriously, that guy had no fear, and he certainly didn't baby his rig, was willing to try anything. He had a great attitude, and it was a REALLY fun day."

MTUH3

I don't fear damage, but I hate having to repair it. With an 18 month at home, fixing the truck takes a looooong.

Getting back to the topic of a diff cover.... which is actually in a thread for general offroading suggestions, I love hitting the rocks when I can (few and inbetween here in MI) and I have had more issues hitting the bottom of the punkin (yes I typed punkin, cause there is a neighborhood punkin chunkin competition). I would be more concerned about folding or splitting the seal / gasket between the housing and cover. In this case, a bolt on cover would provide more protection. IMO from personal experience.

backcountryislife

I take offense at that. I may be good enough, but i don't like risking breaking parts when its not necessary! ;)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I don't think at all it's a matter of being good/ pushing... if you back up it's tough to see what's behind you, it's easy to slam a rock without seeing it.

Also, the other side, you can peel the stamped cover back & create a leak pretty easily if you drag the R diff... THAT I've seen a lot here... many guys I go with have a stamped cover that's bent out just a tad & have a minor leak. One guy I asked about covers said he takes his & grinds his cover up a bit so that it's not the low point... won't help if you back into a rock, but it'll keep from peeling.

That rubber duck skid is so badass... but the diff itself is pretty tough, the more I watch people bash the hell out of them the more I realize that the diff itself doesn't really need a skid.

I was told by a chevy guy here that the 8.5 cover was the same as the 8.6 as well.

bebe

Ok, has ANYONE on this forum EVER had a problem with breaking the stock diff cover? Just wondering. A lot of times we like to spend money on things that bolt to the truck just because... :) I'm just wondering if this is justified for the diff. $60 is pretty darn cheap though, sounds like a good idea, just wondering if it's ever been a real issue.

They don't break - they peel, and no, I've never peeled my rear diff.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
If I recall correctly, the diff cover on the H3 does not stick below the lower surface of the housing, meaning it is less likely to peel than many other diff covers whose tabs do stick below the diff housing.

Medic_Morgan

Anyone have any experience w/ the "Clear Gearz" cover? I found them online for $74.95 and they are pretty cool looking. Any thoughts?

Sent from my secret lair bwaaahhahahahah

backcountryislife

Anyone have any experience w/ the "Clear Gearz" cover? I found them online for $74.95 and they are pretty cool looking. Any thoughts?

Sent from my secret lair bwaaahhahahahah

HOLY CRAP... officially the WORST IDEA EVER:giggle:

I'd expand on that... but Shouldn't need to.

In a drag car or something that was a on road machine, I like the idea of being able to see things & know the condition of your parts & fluid, but not on an offroad vehicle.

Oh btw, like Bebe said, it's not a matter of breaking, but in addition to peeling, denting & damaging parts inside is the real concern with buying a cover.

Img_0457.jpg

12372d1188864425-rear-differential-cover-bent-picture-002.jpg

There's lots of things folks buy for the "just in case"... I ran my H3 on some nasty stuff without sliders or UCP on a daily basis... so I didn't "need" them any more than I needed a diff cover... it's just a matter of protecting for the what if, that's all.

Last edited:

skeptic

There's lots of things folks buy for the "just in case"... I ran my H3 on some nasty stuff without sliders or UCP on a daily basis... so I didn't "need" them any more than I needed a diff cover... it's just a matter of protecting for the what if, that's all.
While technically I suppose I don't need sliders or UCP, I HAVE scraped my sliders and banged my UCP and would have damaged my rockers at a minimum without them. I'm in an H3T and us T owners need sliders more than the H3 guys.