• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

New battery today

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
This is the 3rd replacement in 4 yours. The first replacement was day 2 of owning the truck, second one was in Moab Oct 2009.

While dead batteries are nothing exceptional, this was a bit odd. I came out of a Quik Trip and got in the truck and it was DEAD. No lights, no clicks, nothing. Well, except that the CB, which was turned off but hooked up to an always on connection, started turning on and making odd noises. Key was of course locked in the ignition.

After a jump start I drove directly to the auto parts store for a new battery. The lights in the dash were flickering the whole way there.

The battery went from fine to dead with no warning signs. I took it to O'Reilly for a new one and when they tried to test it they couldn't even get a reading off of it. New battery is in and everything is working fine.

It was a fun way to end my Sunday. :gaah:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Damn talk about bad luck. I have an 06 and replaced my original battery after 4 years. the 2nd one is going 2 years and counting. Is their something wrong with your electrical that is causing this?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Damn! Well AZ is known for its heat. I guess you get your warranties worth out there lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Sorry to hear that Alex, but glad to hear that you're back on the road. You're right about the heat taking its toll on everything, including car batteries. The battery on Cotilo's H3 died after only 2 years.

MaxPF

AGNTSA
Offroading is hard on conventional flooded batteries as well. I have gotten much more life out of AGM's, and I don't get the acid crusties on top either. Don't get an Optima though - they have gone to **** ever since Johnson Controls bought them and moved the manufacturing to Mexico :(

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Never had any acid crusties on the top of any of my H3 batteries:). But I will agree that AGM or Optima (I know, but I know a heck of a lot of people who have them and no problems) are better. Excessive heat destroys plated lead acid batteries. And AZ is noted for excessive heat. If it is hot outside, just think of how hot the batter is in the engine compartment. Warranty on batteries was extremly high in hot climate states like AZ. That's why GM encloses the battery and adds that little air inlet snorkle into the battery box. They hope it makes the battery last until the warranty is over.:giggle:

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Still trying to get it replaced under warranty. I lost my receipt (I think Neo's cat Hobbs ate it :wink:) and Checker/O'Reilly doesn't have it listed under any of the four phone numbers I had at the time. But it looks like O'Reilly Corporate may hook me up. I contacted them today and they said they'd take care of it; now, just waiting for them to follow through.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
I'm probably due. Had a replacement about six months after purchase due to a shorted plate. However that happened right after the drunk hit the front at about 35 mph. So, I blame the plate problem on the drunk, but had GM replace it under warranty.:shame:

H3slate

Brush raked
Wow! I same still on my first battery. Had it tested this summer to make sure it was still fine, but it has been going for 6 years now.

Of course I just set myself up and the battery will die tomorrow. :shame: