• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

need help with front shaft issues

spikeplus2

Probationary Member
gentleman,, please help, my 2007 h3 was lifted 4 in ( rough country kit) , by 4wd shop 5 years ago running 37 in tires...miles at lift was 52000.. now 5 years later original front drive shaft breaks at cv joint at transfer case..local garage changes shaft it breaks in a week...replaced again in another week..mechanic says its the transfer case...i take it to highly respected shop and get both transmission and transfere case rebuilt..4000$.. new oem shaft is 700$...it has no shaft in it now..drove home slow in 4wd hi lock to get it home..i ordered a usewd shaft 150$ will compare oem with aftermarket shaft....just cant bring myself to drop another 1000 for front shaft install at dealer....any ideas...also i see utube about shifting transfer case into nuetral....with shaft out will that allow it to run on reg 4wd button?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
First, you can run your H3 in 2wd by putting it in 4 high lock (the middle button) and removing the front driveshaft.

Second, I'm guessing they are putting in aftermarket CV joints and they simply don't last long. An AC Delco driveshaft will last longer, but that's still not the solutoin.

You need to replace that front driveshaft with a double-cardon(?) joint vs. CV and that's best accomplished with an adapter by 4speedfunk here on the forum. (I may have the wrong name for the joint but someone will correct me.). That CV cannot handle the angles of a 4 inch lift. Search for the threads here regarding lifts and prop shafts and you'll see the history of this item.

H3Hummer

Exact, for me the angle to handle is too much for the the OEM shaft and CVs. The solution is to put stronger front driveshafts in, double cvs . That way the angle is corrected and supported for the 4-inch lift.

rascole

First, you can run your H3 in 2wd by putting it in 4 high lock (the middle button) and removing the front driveshaft.

Second, I'm guessing they are putting in aftermarket CV joints and they simply don't last long. An AC Delco driveshaft will last longer, but that's still not the solutoin.

You need to replace that front driveshaft with a double-cardon(?) joint vs. CV and that's best accomplished with an adapter by 4speedfunk here on the forum. (I may have the wrong name for the joint but someone will correct me.). That CV cannot handle the angles of a 4 inch lift. Search for the threads here regarding lifts and prop shafts and you'll see the history of this item.
What he said X2.