• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

I F'up my rear differential cover. Damn!

ADOR

I bought 10qts of Royal Purple synthetic gear oil. Wanted to change my F and R gear oil. I have not change it since I had my H2 re-geared. When I went to a local shop, I was told it will cost me around $150-180 for LABOR ALONE. So I told myself, I will just do it.

Today, I MESSED up. I guess I retorqued my drain plug, I over torqued it. After I poured 2qts into the REAR axle, I noticed it was dripping. I removed the drain plug and was able to save the 2 quarts. I applied silicone thread sealer. Poured in half a quart. I noticed it was still leaking. I inspected the bottom of the axle cover (ORU brand) and noticed that there was a hairline CRACK!

There you go. Trying to save money and that's what happened. What a day for an after xmas. I'm pissed at myself. Not to mention my wife will be pissed too. :hammer:

Zach

Mall Crawler
Orlando, If you need a stock one I have a new one. And sorry to hear about the mess up :gaah: :shame:

ADOR

Scarsman, it's aluminum.

Zach, thanks a lot for the offer brother. I called a vendor in Northern CA. They have one in stock. I'm trying to have it shipped to Pasadena by Thursday. I'm getting the same brand (ORU) since that's the only aftermarket that will fit the H2. Mag Hytec apparently will NOT fit and will touch the rear sway bar. In all honesty, it was my fault that's why the first one broke. I did not read the torque spec.

Now, I'm staring at the front axle. I'm contemplating if I should even touch it. Or just take it to a local shop and get raped.

I'm really pissed at myself.

ADOR

Orlando, If you need a stock one I have a new one. And sorry to hear about the mess up :gaah: :shame:

Zach, please hang on to that OEM Rear Diff cover for me. Just in case I don't get the replacement one in time. I have a trip to Vegas this Sunday, January 1st. My wife will kill me if I don't fix this before that day.