• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hummers Unleashed! First public sale of HMMWVs to the public since '99

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
For years, one iconic military vehicle has been notably absent in the surplus stream:
The AM General High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV, pronounced “HUM-vee”).
Known to generations as the “Hummer,” very few of the military 1-1/4-ton trucks have slipped into
private ownership. That is all about to change.

Link to article:

http://www.militarytrader.com/jagfile/hummers-unleashed

Link to the auction (25 units up for grabs)

http://www.govplanet.com/jsp/s/search.ips?c=3468&kwtag=hp_cat

Anyone care to make a guess as to what these buys will sell for?

I bet 50K if the collectors and / or Hollywood movie car suppliers break out thier check books.

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
Making them street legal is probably dependent on the state you live in.

What I am waiting to see, is how many more may be coming down the pipeline.

Is it just these 25 or are they gonna unload a ton of these things that are past the end of their life cycle.

With the collectors and Movie folks snapping up the first ones, I bet it would be years before they would reach our hands/price range.

Sure makes for some nice day dreams.

I have a vision of my own Bill Wu style truck.

8^)

High Five H2

my brother is in the market for a new car and he lives in utah. i'll send this link to him.

ha, if I could ever get him to buy a hummer it would be a miracle.

SuperBuickGuy

end use certificate required.... this isn't a public sale. The vehicles are available to LEO and public service organizations, the end use certification means they (the qualified buyer) can't sell it to us. Also, in general, no money changes hands.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many items off of GL require end user certs. One problem with these is AMG has somewhat actively informed states that these are not street legal vehicles. Some states will license them, maybe, some won't. In some states that have licensed them AMG has gotten the states to revoke the registration. If you wanted to trailer one to the trail you would be safe. This will be interesting to watch.

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
end use certificate required.... this isn't a public sale. The vehicles are available to LEO and public service organizations, the end use certification means they (the qualified buyer) can't sell it to us. Also, in general, no money changes hands.

I don't doubt what you say regarding the EUC (I had no clue what one was).....I was going by what the article said.

"So, December 17, will be an historic day—the day when private individuals can legally buy surplus HMMWVs. Bear in mind, however,
it won’t be without a few pitfalls. Remember, these are being sold with “OFF-ROAD USE ONLY” on the bill of sale. This may cause some
roblems when the new owners attempt to license the vehicles. This will vary from state to state. Know your state’s requirements before you bid.

Could the EUC be required for this release only, maybe not with others coming down the pipe later......?

abearden

I don't doubt what you say regarding the EUC (I had no clue what one was).....I was going by what the article said.

"So, December 17, will be an historic day—the day when private individuals can legally buy surplus HMMWVs. Bear in mind, however,
it won’t be without a few pitfalls. Remember, these are being sold with “OFF-ROAD USE ONLY” on the bill of sale. This may cause some
roblems when the new owners attempt to license the vehicles. This will vary from state to state. Know your state’s requirements before you bid.

Could the EUC be required for this release only, maybe not with others coming down the pipe later......?
Given we can plate side-by-sides in Idaho, I'm curious. Really too bad I can't spend that much on a new vehicle and have no where to store it.

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another article in Army Times on the auctions.

http://www.armytimes.com/story/mili...public-a-first/20300263/?sf34613531=["['1']"]

Interesting part here:

Sitting on a dusty lot at Hill Air Force Base in Utah are 25 Humvees built between 1987 and the mid-1990s, some with visible wear and patchy
amouflage paint jobs, and whose odometer readings range from 1,361 to 38,334. The public will have the chance to bid on them in a live
online action on Dec. 17 and take home a Humvee that once served as a troop or cargo carrier.

"We know that there are thousands going through the screening process now, and some will be claimed by states and local governments,
and anything not claimed will go through for public sale, through our marketplace," Berry said. "We expect to have a steady stream of those available over time."

4speedfunk

There is a facility not far from me that crushes 4000 to 6000 H1s per month. I've been there several times...they are allowed to sell wheels & tires off them.

Frankly I don't see the attraction to H1s. They seem to be a good platform for waging war...but the more I'm around them, the less i want one for off-roading. Big, heavy, slow, lumbering, 24v, under-powered....all the things I would never want in a wheeler. However, if I had a farm or a ranch or something...they would be the ultimate work truck. I can't see paying any more than $8k for one at an auction. I think military collectors may be more inclined to pay big money.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
My guess is that the ones that OEM up for auction are the ones everyone else has passed on. Likely lots of deferred maintenance, possible missing parts, etc. this might be a great place to buy a project truck or for Blair to buy future restorations. I doubt you would buy and drive most if any of these.
i have wheeled a lot of different vehicles and really enjoy wheeling the H1 platform. It does very well in most terrain. Personal preference though, that is why we all aren't married to redheads......or blondes.....or.........

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like this batch went anywhere from a low of $21500 to a high of $41000.

Added two more for a Jan 7th auction.

deserth3

I agree the price is way high. Looks like some fools and their money have parted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

SGT-Wright

The US Army only paid ~$23,000 per standard HMMWV. That was the price on my hand receipt for a new M998 back in 1996 and the vehicle MFG was 1995. Also, they only paid $430 for a new M-16 A2, and the toned down civillian version was around $900 at that time. I wish my vehicles held their value like those HMMWV's, I would just sell mine every 15-20 years and make money. :)

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
26 up for Auction now on Jan 7th and Jan 14th.

Curious to see the sale price on this batch compared to the first ones.