• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hummer Recovering Stories

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I "recovered" this XJ but I think I was a bit late.
533261267_xutJQ-L.jpg

Nor could we help this guy with a vehicle recovery, but we did get him medical attention and a helicopter ride to the airport. We were stuck with a broken axle repair when this guy came down the trail. He put a tire over the edge of the trail and right as we were walking up to offer assistance, he puts it in reverse and guns it. That had the effect of digging the dirt out from under his tires, dropping him over the edge as he rolled down about 110'.
706477016_6edFq-L.jpg

A winch and strap was used to bring him up the hill. The line was attached to this board and he was relayed up the hill by the people you see here. Crawler, Jerry S. MaxPF and Fit4Duty were all assisting.
706486580_J9BoW-L.jpg

Earlier that year (2009) we did a night run on Sycamore Creek. This is a steep rutted hill with sand over granite - not a friendly combination. Our Jeep buddy said his brakes failed and he added to the issue by depressing the clutch, allowing him to freewheel down the hill. He rolled one and a half times. The truck was barely damaged - broken mirror, cracked windshield and dented windshield header, dented fender. They got away without any personal damage despite unsecured tools and toolboxes in the back.

467900627_LhHrP-L.jpg

467904585_wYivo-L.jpg

467905313_DnCcR-L.jpg

H3slate

Brush raked
Last May H3slate, PNW-H3 and I were on the way up to Evans Creek when we found two young guys walking towards town. They said they were stuck and asked if we would give them a ride to town. About 10-12 miles behind us. I said, "Well, we could probably figure out a way to get you out." We drove them back in and found they had a lifted long bed crew cab Superduty stuck with it's right side in a ditch and sunk to the axles. Right beside it on the road they had a stock Wrangler sunk to the frame in the snow.I had just gotten my winch mounted, so it was a good test. The Jeep came right out easy. The Superduty pulled really hard, but came out. Turned out they were up there in the Jeep the night before and got it stuck. (with girls!) They walked out till they got cell service and called the other buddy with the Ford, who came up to help and promptly got stuck. Then they spent the night in the trucks.

That's all for me with my Hummer, except for helping Hummer friends on the trail.

The best part of this recovery was after we got them free and they left, we continued on the trail they were stuck on with no problems. :giggle:

Scarsman

Sponsor
In fact, the spot the Superduty was stuck in, H3slate slid into the same ditch and ended up driving forward right out of it!

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
So who is going to write this story and collect and insert the photos/videos? I serves as brakes for Matt's truck so being the last truck, I missed a lot.