• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hole in transmission?

gino2007hummerh3

Probationary Member
IMG_20230317_162332985_HDR~3.jpg
I recently purchased a 2007 hummer h3 with a manual transmission. Been having some leak issues and I happen to notice what appears to be a small uncovered inspection hole in the transmission. I was curious to see if this was normal for these vehicles or what goes in place of this hole?

zebra

dang!!! did you make it home alright?! :eek: that's where your transmission fluid drain plug's supposed to be!!

okay - not really
we've got the same on our 2009 - assuming it's so you can either put a tiny bore scope up there... or to give a place for the fluid to drip out (or more-realistically, gum up with dirt) if the input shaft seal or slave cylinder start leaking.

that hole's just in the bottom of the bellhousing - not the transmission itself.

Jeepwalker

That's just a vent hole and possible drain for the bellhousing. Probably helps reduce condensation inside the bellhousing (by allowing the temperature/humidity to equalize), and allows oil and/or water (say you crossed through a stream) to drain out.