• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hi From Northern IL

zenoreilly

For several years I had a '98 Chevy Blazer, and I always said the only way to truly replace it was if I got an H3 because everything else is just a crossover, which as we all know is just a clever marketing term for "really tall car with AWD". Well, 18 months ago I got tired of putting money into the Blazer and just wheeled/commuted with my lifted '96 Tracker while I did the "adult" thing and shopped for a full-size truck. Trucks carry a premium however, and the gas tank that I just replaced 6 months prior on the Tracker sprang a leak someplace so I decided it was time to cast a wider net and maybe come up with an alternative. About the same time a local dealer picked up an H3, I remembered what I'd said about the Blazer and took it for a test drive.

It was a short drive.

I didn't buy that one, but I did decide that it was the direction I wanted to go and a week later I came home with a one-owner-trade '08 with the 3.7 and loaded with every option but a remote start. When I first got the Blazer I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't a ZR2 but it was a 2-door so naive me figured I could just lift it and get the same thing...Spoiler alert, that's not how it works with those. I resolved to not make the same mistake this time so the Adventure pkg was a must-have; I got the Lux and Towing packages to boot and I'm a happy guy. It's only done commuting and grocery duty thus far, with the occasional just-because-I-can curb hop in a parking lot to get around entitled bitches in Jeep Compasses who don't know how to park (Side Note: I'm really impressed with the turning-circle on this truck, all things considered). It throws a P0420 every 2 weeks or so, I'm hoping it's just the downstream O2 sensor because I've seen what's involved in replacing the cat on these things, but I'm not optimistic because the cat temp will run north of 1200°F (I've seen it peak at 1800°F and that's...excessive). It was missing on the #1 cylinder when I got it home but bad gap on the plug was the culprit there, running rich may have caused me some problems later on but ATM it runs fine :huh:

Anyway, Hi!

hummer02.jpg

Attachments

• hummer01.jpg
    hummer01.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 209

glpd74

Welcome from wi. Brings back memories of my old h3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reloader

Welcome from Phoenix valley.
How many miles on your 08? P0420 is inefficient cat code . Probably not a sensor issue but maybe. You can fix that buy installing an anti oil fouler between rear o2 sensor and the pipe. It's an old time fix for cylinders that are using oil and causing plug to foul on much older cars.
They are available at Oreillys in the Helps section. Two in a pack bout $10. Two thread sizes available. Get larger size (18mm) with copper gaskets. Not taper seat ones. Drill out center hole to 1/2" so that o2 sensor will screw in to it then install into original o2 sensor bung in exhaust pipe. This the rear sensor or post cat one you're doing this to. The idea behind this is it moves the sensor out of the exhaust stream a bit to help stabilize the voltage reading. With a good cat the pre cat sensor is operating with a voltage crossing over from .1 volt to .9 volt and post cat should be stable at bout .5 volt. With an inefficient cat the post cat sensor voltage will mimic the pre cat voltage thus tripping the sucks to be me light in the dash. This works. My alpha has two bad cats (second oe set to fail) and it passes emissions here every time. I got a Jeep Cherokee to pass with no cat installed. Here they just plug into ECU and run code and monitors check. And leak test your gas cap on OBD2 vehicles. Older OBD 1s get the dyno and sniffer.