• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Has anyone done the Insanity workout?

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Well, using thoughts of myself in a wedding tux in ~16 months and a recent doctor's visit as mental ammo, I'm hellbent on trying to lose a few around the waistline. Today, a buddy of mine (who's in very good shape) and I started the "Insanity" workout videos. I'm just curious if anyone here has done this workout. I had a friend who graduated two years ago and he lost about 50 lbs doing the P-90X videos.

Aside from the workout, does anyone have any tips for slimming down? I'm all ears!

Whew...I haven't felt this tired-out since 2-a-days freshman year! :whaa::giggle:

Big2dabank

I tried to do P90X, but I'm lazy and don't make a big effort to find the time. it kicks my ass pretty hard when I find the time. Otherwise, I have way more important things to do than taking care of myself. Wife, Kids, Business, I come last. :(

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
My wife does the P 90X workout and it works, she looks great! She was already in pretty good shape though. Don't think she lost much weight but she didn't need to. It did tone every muscle on her body though. Me, I just lift weights, run 4-5 times a week and spend a little time cross training.

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Insanity is much harder than P90x. Stop eating fried foods. Avoid sauces. No bread. Keep carbohydrates to a minimum. Stick to proteins.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Serious question...does beer count as a carb? It's my last semester at school and beers with my friends 1-2 times a week is something I really look forward to.

Giving up fried foods is going to be tough for me as well. Lunch today was a huge salad and a meatball sub. I forewent the french fries and pizza I wanted. I guess that's a start? :emb:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Just go on the hollywood diet, don't eat ;)

Im not the healthiest eater but exercise a lot. Running will help shed pounds. When running cross country I was running over 30 miles a week, I could eat the crappiest food and still wouldn't go over 200 and i'm about 6' 4"

Beer doesn't help either...lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ron B

I agree with all that has been posted. Stay active, cut the carbs/sugars (yes, beer and alcohol!!) And you will loose more tban you think. Getting it off isn't the trick, it's keeping it off!

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Main thing is to burn more than you consume. All of the above is good advice. I just try to eat whatever I want in moderation. ( you know you don't have to eat that last slice of pizza )

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did a few of the workouts along with my wife. Defintely a different form of exercise that takes some getting used to. She stuck with it. I prefer my old tried and true workouts. No doubt that it works though. I know other people that have done it with very good results. The only people I know that didn't get good results didn't stay with the program.

kflips

Hans - you know that I am not a hefty guy -- I lost 20 lbs over 3-4 months following weight watchers - more water, no fries, not chips.... really irritated my wife that I lost weight so quickly. It's hard but self control is the gig.

CNY750Rider

I use p90X as well. I really don't stick with the nutrition program at all but try to hit a hour workout several times a week. I love plyometrics. I threw the Yoga disk out. Damn that yoga was hard, I originally laughed at it thinking it would be the easiest workout of them all....boy was I wrong.

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Hans - you know that I am not a hefty guy -- I lost 20 lbs over 3-4 months following weight watchers - more water, no fries, not chips.... really irritated my wife that I lost weight so quickly. It's hard but self control is the gig.

I think self-control is the name of the game. That's what I'll have to work on.

Congrats on the -20lbs!

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Beer is bad for weight loss but I did it anyway. Eating properly is the key as you get more energy. Remember that this is simply burning more calories than you take in and a pound is approximately 3600 calories. A few years ago I did have a diet plan that allowed me a beer or two each day and I still kept my calories under 1800 per day. I was obviously working off more than that and kept up a steady 2 lb loss per week for about four months.

You want foods that enhance metabolism, not slow it down. Fats and alcohol are metabolism's enemy.

IndyHummers

I agree with everything said so far. I lost 20 lbs literally JUST by cutting out soda from my diet. Learn to love grilled chicken, there's so much you can do with it to keep it from getting bland. As a recent college grad, the toughest thing is going to be drinking, hands down. I was never a big beer drinker, I always stick with the hard stuff, but I learned that vodka is actually the best liquor for you. It has the fewest calories, sugar, etc. try and avoid the Captain and Jack and cokes and enjoy a nice masculine vodka and cranberry instead. Good luck!

glpd74

insanity is a good program that will slim you down and get you into shape quick but if you really wanna get that super tone look you really need to follow the food plan

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Beer is bad for weight loss but I did it anyway. Eating properly is the key as you get more energy. Remember that this is simply burning more calories than you take in and a pound is approximately 3600 calories. A few years ago I did have a diet plan that allowed me a beer or two each day and I still kept my calories under 1800 per day. I was obviously working off more than that and kept up a steady 2 lb loss per week for about four months.

You want foods that enhance metabolism, not slow it down. Fats and alcohol are metabolism's enemy.

I'd like to see a copy of that diet plan if you've got it kicking around...

What sort of foods enhance metabolism?

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
I agree with everything said so far. I lost 20 lbs literally JUST by cutting out soda from my diet. Learn to love grilled chicken, there's so much you can do with it to keep it from getting bland. As a recent college grad, the toughest thing is going to be drinking, hands down. I was never a big beer drinker, I always stick with the hard stuff, but I learned that vodka is actually the best liquor for you. It has the fewest calories, sugar, etc. try and avoid the Captain and Jack and cokes and enjoy a nice masculine vodka and cranberry instead. Good luck!

Masculine vodka beverages. Check. :giggle:

Ron B

The grilled chicken mention above reminded me of a movie from a while back -- Supersize Me, see what the fast food will do to you. I also hear Forks Over Knives will make you want to use that knife to slit your wrists.