• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Grease and grease guns

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I haven't owned a grease gun in the past as, well, I haven't needed one. But as I may be attempting to replace a lower ball joint soon and it appears to have a zerk fitting, I guess I should step up and get a grease gun and grease.

I know there are several types available and I heard recommendations for red grease for high pressure applications, like if I get an aftermarket propshaft in the future. Can I just use a high-end, i.e. expensive, grease like Royal Purple for all applications on the H3 or do I need multiple types? Also, it would probably get use by others since 06 H3 doesn't like others to put their hands in his personal grease gun. http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple-...thetic/dp/B002KCWWFC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Scarsman

Sponsor
That should work just fine. You don't need multiple types. Even just a good grade of grease from Napa would do just fine. Just get a good high-shear grease and you're good to go.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

LoJac963

I have the aluminum Lucas Oil grease gun and also use Lucas grease on my rig. I forgot what the tube says for the grade but its what the H2 manual calls for. I'm pretty sure the tube says tractors and something else lol. It's some pretty thick stuff.

MaxPF

AGNTSA
I will tell you from experience: do NOT buy a cheap grease gun. You will just end up buying a good one anyway. I like the Valvoline multi-purpose moly grease, which is spec'd for (gasp!) Ford-Lincoln-Mercury vehicles. Grease ain't rocket science; I like the moly grease because molybdenum disulfide is the best EP additive there is, but a plain ol' grease will work OK. Don't waste your money on high-dollar grease. All it will do is make your truck slightly lighter due to the reduced mass of your wallet. An exception is if you plan on spending time someplace that gets really cold. Regular greases are good down to about -10° or so, while synthetics will go lower. Valvoline rates their SynPower moly-fortified grease for -60°.

Last edited:

08H3

I mostly agree with MaxPF's statement that grease is not rocket science, but there are some things you need to know regarding compatibility if you ever change grease types. This is a great reference chart --> http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1865/grease-compatibility . As far as the guns go, the only advice I can give you is get one with a rubber hose. You do not want one with a solid end or you'll never be able to get I to the fitting.