• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Got a Hummer...Won't Start

fowlken8

Hey Guys,

I found an H3. I flew to Denver. Test drove it. Decent Truck. Now it won't start. It says Lock 1 on the dash.

-I don't have the factory key or keyfob...just an aftermarket silver key
-It wouldn't start at the gas station, I waited ten minutes or so like threads said and I got it to start.
-I got it to start at my house, but something WEIRD...it will crank for a couple of seconds, stop by itself, then crank BY ITSELF again and sometimes start.
-I've gotten it to start 10 times in a row, but it's IMMEDIATE. Strange actually. starts faster than anything I've seen, a millisecond....then crank no start, "lock 1".

I'm pretty bugged. It all seemed ok. First day with a car and it won't start :-(

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

What do the battery cables/connection look like? A good battery, clean cable connections and good engine/body grounds are way more critical than they used to be on older vehicles ...and even more so it seems for the H3. Not just to rotate the starter, but for the PCM and other modules, which tells the starter (and everything else) what to do. I know that sounds simple, but it's really true I've found.

Also, a lot of no-start issues seem to point back to the ign switch. Do some searches on it. Don't forget to search the Colorado truck sites too as there are some commonalities between the two vehicles and problems they often have.

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The Passlock issue is often intermittent and your symptoms may match it. Aftermarket key has nothing to do with it as H3 keys do not have chips, despite a GM tech trying to tell me otherwise. That was the last time I went to that dealer.

Don't feel bad, stuff happens. I purchased my H3 new in 2007 and it came with a bad battery. No fun trying to show it off when it won't start.
https://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/forum/showthread.php/14613-Anti-theft
https://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/fo...ock-10-min-lockout?highlight=passlock+relearn

Jeepwalker

Aftermarket key has nothing to do with it as H3 keys do not have chips, despite a GM tech trying to tell me otherwise.

Ha ha.... dealer told me the EXACT same thing a long time ago. And I believed it!! Imagine my surprise one day when my wife had both keys at work in her purse, by mistake. Out of despiration I stuck in a hardware-store key I had made (just in case I ever needed to open a locked door) ...and it STARTED!! I thought to myself "Those Ba$tards!!" ha ha....

fowlken8

I think it is a passlock issue. I've researched it so much. The battery is a brand new yellow top but I have not checked grounds. I don't want to buy an ignition switch if it's not the problem though. Sad times lol

08H3

I have had that issue as well. For me, if you make sure the key is turned totally CCW before cranking, and then making sure it is turned as far CCW again in the run position immediately after it starts I avoid the Passlock issue 100% of the time. I think something is worn just enough that the chip does not line up perfectly. I need to replace that at some point, but since I have a reliable workaround, it's just not been a priority.

fowlken8

Today is going to be a lot of detective work. I love the look of this thing but if it doesn't start it doesn't matter lol

RamRod

Just as an FYI my '09 will start with the OEM key every time, even if the passlock icon comes on. when I use the spare silver key I got made up... wont start and the passlock icon comes up

fowlken8

Dumb question.... If I have another key made from an oem key blank, will it still do it?

I pulled the ignition sensor advanced used electric cleaner in the harness and on the sensor... Plugged it back in and it's starting each time now?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Passlock tends to be an intermittent issue. For example, I had it going on for a few months before I fixed it, and it would only fail about once per week. I've been using an aftermarket key for probably 10 years now. I like to keep one of the two original keys as absolutely original so copies that are made are not made from worn out keys.

08H3

Passlock tends to be an intermittent issue. For example, I had it going on for a few months before I fixed it, and it would only fail about once per week. I've been using an aftermarket key for probably 10 years now. I like to keep one of the two original keys as absolutely original so copies that are made are not made from worn out keys.

Always have your keys cut by VIN if that's an option. You will get a 100% match.

Jeepwalker

Just a note: Have you tried to start in in Neutral (if you can get it to go in N)? Just in case it's a brake interlock or a PRND issue.

OP: if you haven't owned your H3 for very long and this issue get you down ....hold onto your horses. This is probably just one of many issues you are going to run into in the coming years, ha ha. My H3 has been a lot of work, very frustrating at times ....probably the most work I've had to put in a vehicle. Like a hot girlfriend with a fussy temperment at times!! ha ha But very rewarding too...

Last edited:

fowlken8

I've had this 2 days haha my old 07 h3 didn't have these issues... Only solid axle ones that CJ coached me through.

Do I need up to go to a dealer for a Vin cut key?

I'm getting very annoyed that I have to wait ten minutes when the lock 1 warning pops up. Will a new ignition switch help this? Even if it's the sensor? I want to start my hummer and expect it to start

Also I have a hot, successful gf..... Don't get me started... Already triggered

deserth3

When starting the vehicle Passlock measures the resistance of a resistor physically located in the ignition switch. If the computer sees a different value than what's saved in memory. It will lock out the vehicle for 10 minutes. And the passlock light will be illuminated.
Several things can cause the resistance to change. Worn or corroded contacts in the switch, someone ripping the switch out of the column as in theft. Replacing the switch may not solve the problem because the new switch may have a different value. As far as I know you have to have a Tech 2 to tell the computer to learn the new switch.
You should avoid heavy key rings with the H3. This can accelerate the wear on the lock.

I don't remember seeing a Lock 1 failure message when it happened to my 06. But it has been about 10 years ago that it happened to me. You may have a different problem. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Any dealership can cut a key from the vin code. But you better show some documentation you own the vehicle. Each dealer is different. Also there is no chip in the key. So keys don't matter. I had one made with a chevy logo on it instead of H3.

Some people have claimed success bypassing the resistor in the lock. But this involves cutting wires in the harness and installing a a resistor with the same value as what was in the lock. IMO replace the lock. Never use a wet key. And don't put a bunch of stuff on your key ring.
Some also have sent their computer off to aftermarket and have them reprogrammed. Here again. Some dealers will reprogram back to factory if they plug in and find a flashed computer.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
If it starts after 10 minutes then yes, a new ignition module will fix it. You're not replacing the whole mechanism; you only replace the electronics. It's not a difficult repair.

Jeepwalker

Does the Passlock double each non-correct starting attempt? A number of manufacturers security systems used to act that way. In that case, 10 min becomes 20, then 40 and so on with each incorrect attempt.

720H

I would think the aftermarket reflash would be a good option as long as you keep it at 87 oct. At a little over $200 get a little HP and shifting improvements to make it at least feel faster. Pretty sure they can write out the passlock plus correct speedo if going to run larger tires. Would save on buying the sensor if planning to do a reflash in the future. Kill 2 birds with one rock. Downside might make it easier to steal but a thief usually has a plan before they start even if its a dumb one. That would be a big pet peeve with me not knowing if it was going to start each time. Been through that with some cars living in a winter time area

fowlken8

It's annoying as ever. I get up each morning.... Starts immediately. Drive somewhere, crank no start. Insert the key again.... Lock 1 error code.... Wait 10 minutes, starts up.

Once started it runs amazingly. I need to trust my vehicle

fowlken8

I ordered a new ac Delco ignition.... I plan on replacing the switch! I wish there was a way to test my current switch just to make sure. But I trust everyone's experience on here.

fowlken8

Got it registered! 20200919_104244_HDR.jpg