• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Front leveling/Shocks

spillKill

Ok first off i am not taking credit for this!
i found this and thought it was very useful and thought alot of people could benefit from the info
so here it is hope it helps with your questions, i know it helped me!

:thumbs:
What does the front leveling of the H3 do?
[/b]

Hummer in their infinite wisdom decided to lower the ride height for their H3's so that the[FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important][/FONT][/FONT] front end rides lower than the rear end. The leveling concept basically adjusts the front ride height to relate to the rear ride height (truck will sit square vs. being slanted forward), some people prefer the looks (looks more aggressive), and others will enjoy the many benefits of adjusting the front (greater ground clearance, larger wheel accommodation, better rear view, etc)

Why do I want to level the front of my H3?
[/b]
If you run 35" tires, want to see out better out of your rear window, or want better clearance for offloading... you'd want to level your truck.

Do I need a "leveling kit"?[/b]

Yes and No. The makers will make you believe that you require a leveling kit to level your H3. Basically, the kit is aTorsion Bar Key that will re-index the starting position of the [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]torsion bar[/FONT][/FONT]... the kit will essentially allow greater adjustments vs. the stock key. Keep in mind, the stock key has enough movement to allow you to level your Hummer.

One thing that the "leveling kit" comes with is shock extenders for your stock shocks. This will help reduce wear on your shocks and will allow your shocks not to over-extend them.

If you want to level your hummer without wanting to purchase shocks, then the leveling kit would be ideal, as you can use your existing shocks with your setup. Sometimes your stock key does not provide enough room for a complete level adjust, in this case, you will need to purchase a leveling kit key.

Who offers a "leveling kit"?[/b]

Truxxx
Readylift

What are the two differences between the two leveling kits?[/b]

Readylift:
+Cheaper
+Lifts ride
+Includes shock extension
+Solid construction one piece

Truxxx:
+More popular
-More expensive
+Lifts ride
+Includes shock extension
-Not one piece construction (welds)
-Can squeak
-Can damage the bolt due to the weld spots

Can I level my H3 without a "kit"?
[/b]
Yes. You can adjust your Torsion Bars without needing the expensive "kit". But keep in mind; you should not be over-extending your stock shocks. So yes, you don't need the kit to level, but then it's HIGHLY recommended that you purchase aftermarket shocks designed specifically for the leveling of the H3.

To make it straight forward: Buy a pair of leveling shocks = no kit needed. Keep OEM shocks = you need a kit.

What front leveling shocks are out there?[/b]

Edelbrock
Fox
Cognito
[FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit ! important]Rancho[/FONT][/FONT]

What are the specs of the different types of leveling shocks?[/b]

Type, Extended Length, Compressed Length, Travel
OEM......... 15.0" 11.25" 3.75"
Edelbrock.. 15.67" 11.08" 4.6"
Fox.......... 16.0" 11.5" 4.5"
Cognito..... 18.42" 11.77" 6.65"
Rancho .....15.77" 13.43" 2.34"

Why are leveling shocks important?
[/b]
[/b]Because they give you the extra length that is required instead of over-extending your OEM shocks and they give you the added performance boost. They also don't require little "extension" brackets to be added which can add another point of failure.

Do I need leveling shocks or a leveling kit?[/b]

I would highly recommend that you purchase shocks instead of a leveling kit. Why you ask? Well the kit comes with "extenders" for your OEM shocks, this allows for an extra part to fail and you are still stuck with the stock shock performance. Go with the shocks and you will not only have the extended lift that you need, but you have the added performance of an aftermarket shock.

What should my ride height be?[/b]

Your ride heigh

Last edited:

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
The term "Leveling Shocks" seems so misleading to me, as they do nothing to level or change the trucks ride height.

They only serve to accommodate the additional ride height provided by either a leveling kit or T-bar crank.

However, I guess if that is what the manufacturers and vendors choose to call the product, who am I to say otherwise.

But then…..I am one of those folks who does not understand a restaurant’s use of the term…."Chicken Fried, Chicken".

If it is chicken and it is fried, then it’s fried chicken damn it….The only variable being whether it was done in a pan or deep fryer.

Nice write-up BTW.

Hunner

Yea that term "leveling shocks" has been mis-used. Unless you have adjustable coil overs, shocks just seek their own level.
Otherwise a good "overview"

Or just crankum and stick a 1/2 tall nut on the stock shock if you don't need to replace them yet.
You can crank the torsions until the bolt touches the floor pan which would of course be waay too much for other things to survive.
I noted in 06 I would no longer run mine at 24 inches and find that 23 1/2 seems to work well with my setup.

Do I understand that you copied that info from somewhere?

Last edited:

Chook

I don't have the measurements but ARB Old Man Emu make a set of shocks for the Hummer H3 as well. (I went OME on the front after popping the top off the fox twice)

08H3

Sorta' off topic, but I have a blown Cognito. Can those be rebuilt? It looks like you can send them back to Bilstein, but by the time you add shipping, it's the price of a new shock. I'd rebuild them if it makes sense as far as cost, otherwise I'm going to put my stock shocks back on with a spacer.