• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Front End Issues

H3nightrod

So few weeks ago I tore my passenger side boot and didn't notice until the axel was bone dry. After pulling over to check it on the highway I figured I would have to take it slow in order to get home and fix it. When I tried to get in gear it would not move. So after consulting with CJ (4speedfunk) I put it in 4HILock, this put truck in gear and I was able to crawl home. Fast forward to now. I had both half shafts replaced to be safe due to the fact that the first one went out while on a paved road.

After replacing both half shafts the passenger boot went out again few weeks after and was replaced under warranty. I am having the truck back to shop tomorrow because drivers side shaft is leaking grease and looks to be failing also.

I am stuck with a issue that doesn't seem to go away. Since the repair my truck no longer drives the same. On highway speeds it seems to wonder. Also when I go over a hump on the road and the front axles drop I can feel a rumble in steering as if gears are grinding. There is no noise but I can feel it in steering wheel. If I take off from a dead stop with hard acceleration the front end seems to jump up as if I was on a hill climb and front wheels seem to wobble.

I have checked all nuts and bolts and everything seems tight. Does anyone have an idea of what I need to look into? I was really hoping the half shaft issues didn't affect my axle or transfer case but seems like I might have to look into both. If it was just a Half shaft issue why did the truck not go in gear unless I was in 4HILock and now it goes in gear fine. I have also tested all gear positions on dash and they all work fine.
Any advise would be appreciated!!!

I have a 08 H3 Alpha with 35s leveled.

4speedfunk

You need to check again with your mechanic. He surely had to do something more substantial than just replace the half-shafts. Your problem was inside the diff itself.

When you called me that day, and your truck failed to move, and just "free-revved" while in gear...I knew what it was (can only be one thing): no front diff! That's why I had you put the t-case into 4HI-Lock, so you could limp it home. Doing this splits the power 50/50 and sends some to the rear axle. Its the only way you can move the vehicle without a functioning front drive system. THIS IS NOT A HALF-SHAFT ISSUE...but rather a bigger problem inside the diff. I just assumed you're mechanic popped the AAM-7 apart and fixed whatever was broken (probably Ring & Pinion and bearings). The issues you are still "feeling" are probably something more than just half-shafts. It could be any number of obvious things, such as:

*ball joints
*upper and/or lower A-arm bushings
*rack bushings
*diff bushings
*lower crossmember bushing
*front driveshaft
*hubs
*loose wheel
*half-shaft

or some not so obvious things, such as:

*spider gears
*ring & pinion
*t-case not operating correctly
*motor mount

Whatever the case...post up the complete repair list of what he did last month. If the problem didn't exist before the repair, it should be easy to determine where to look. One nice thing about the H3 is the front end is very simple and easy to work on. Poke around under there enough...and you'll find the source of your issues. The stock IFS is very precise...if one component is not right, it will give you trouble.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I agree that you should pull the cover off of the diff and inspect it. CJ pointed out the many possibilities but the likely one goes to the diff being the culprit, especially if newer half shafts are failing.

What brand half-shafts did you use? I don't think it really makes a difference with all of your described symptoms, but, for example, EMPI has given me issues with boots not staying on.

H3nightrod

They said they pulled cover and gears looks good the first time. But we are pulling it again to see. Im not that good with those type of fixes so I have to rely on my mechanic.

We uses OEM not rebuilt.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The wandering and the steering feel issues could be attributed to leveling - if you are above 23.5" hub to fender then you may be too high. You may also just need an alignment.

The bump steer and looseness you are feeling may be attributed to some of the things CJ pointed out: worn steering rack and/or bushings; worn upper/lower control arm bushings; worn ball joints.

CV/driveline issues could be a result of worn diff bushing (there are three) if your diff is moving out of position on acceleration and braking.