• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Front diff pinion bearing is going out

Dub-NUb

Hello all, new to the forum and looking for guidance, help, whatever you wish to call it.

We have a 2007 hummer H3. has been great with only a few issues such as water pump bearing going out (replaced), a check engine light for an evap leak (found the cracked line but haven't fixed). The car is 122k miles on it and the other day my fiance mentioned that it was making a strange noise.

Upon a quick view it sounded like that brakes sound like when pad is rubbing against the disk, like metal trying to stop metal. I did a little investigation by putting front wheel in the air, taking off front driveshaft and checking the u-joints on it. They were okay. But when i spun the wheels i noticed the sound came from the inside of diff right where the yoke is. It is more noticeable when it is low speed.

If i drive for a while at high speed the noise isn't as prominent after coming into city traffic. I know the front diff bushing needs replacing and i have read that excessive movement in it will cause the pinion bearing to get shot.

SO here is where i stand. I have received a quote from a reputable place locally for a repair. They quoted $2,700 for a used unit, or $3,000 for a jasper remanufactured unit. I have searched car-part.com at junk yards around the area but they ALL seem to have horrible reviews for customer service and are at least 200+ miles away. My local dealer is quoting $1,025 to replace the pinion bearings, crush sleeve, pinion seal, pinion nut, sealant, fluid.

My experience in auto fixing is quiet high and I can take on just about any task, but differential and automatic transmissions is one thing i hate doing BUT with pricing like that i may just undertake this myself.

Anyone have suggestions?

Last edited:

atvspeed4

Hello all, new to the forum and looking for guidance, help, whatever you wish to call it.

We have a 2007 hummer H3. has been great with only a few issues such as water pump bearing going out (replaced), a check engine light for an evap leak (found the cracked line but haven't fixed). The car is 122k miles on it and the other day my fiance mentioned that it was making a strange noise.

Upon a quick view it sounded like that brakes sound like when pad is rubbing against the disk, like metal trying to stop metal. I did a little investigation by putting front wheel in the air, taking off front driveshaft and checking the u-joints on it. They were okay. But when i spun the wheels i noticed the sound came from the inside of diff right where the yoke is. It is more noticeable when it is low speed.

If i drive for a while at high speed the noise isn't as prominent after coming into city traffic. I know the front diff bushing needs replacing and i have read that excessive movement in it will cause the pinion bearing to get shot.

SO here is where i stand. I have received a quote from a reputable place locally for a repair. They quoted $2,700 for a used unit, or $3,000 for a jasper remanufactured unit. I have searched car-part.com at junk yards around the area but they ALL seem to have horrible reviews for customer service and are at least 200+ miles away. My local dealer is quoting $1,025 to replace the pinion bearings, crush sleeve, pinion seal, pinion nut, sealant, fluid.

My experience in auto fixing is quiet high and I can take on just about any task, but differential and automatic transmissions is one thing i hate doing BUT with pricing like that i may just undertake this myself.

Anyone have suggestions?

Is that price to just replace the front differential?? That is insane!

If it really is just the pinion bearing that needs to be replaced that is not a huge project and any differential shop should be able to do that $200-400 MOST (including removing it from the vehicle and reinstalling. If your absolutely needed a complete rebuild and the housing is fine I still cannot see over $800-1000 for new gears, bearings, setup.

If you decide to replace the whole assembly I would suggest ordering the cast steel housing from 2008+ alpha or 2009-10 adventure and bringing that to a differential shop to be built with a fresh set of factory gears. Removing the front differential from your H3 is a very easy job (especially after you have done it a few times) It takes me no more than 30 minutes at this point to pull one out lol.

Dub-NUb

Problem is I have no diff shops around my area so doing this in same day turn around or two day.

Which price are you referring to for the "insane", the 3k? If so yhen yes it's ridiculous.

Dub-NUb

Just a little update: I have been driving the car and noticed the sound has disappeared entirely. Will continue searching for a replacement diff just incase. Perhaps the fluid change helped but right after the fluid change the noise was still present.

SedonaBound

$2700 is nuts. Keep looking for a different repair shop so you don't get burned when you do get it done.

Dub-NUb

I have a lead on one from a previous hummer item purchase on ebay, the person did not have it listed on ebay but still has the car. 79k miles. Hoping to not get screwed on the price and it will be worth to snag. I will be changing it out myself if i get it.

woodwardsh3

A lot of trans shops do ring n pinion work, Look for a race car or lifted truck and ask them who do they know that does r&p work there all kinds of racer's in your area. they should be able to help.

Dub-NUb

Well just to update everyone. I have not sourced a replacement diff but the noise has disappeared and has not re-occurred in over two weeks. I am hoping the fluid changed helped with that.

Working on doing maintenance on it.

Current issue: it seems the driveshaft is wobbling. When the repair shop had it in the air to check for the noise, i noticed the driveshaft was moving up and down. I do get a vibration int he seat when i drive and there is a driveshaft shop about an hour away. All the weights are on the driveshaft.