• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Frame metal gauge?

Jeepwalker

Well-Known Member
Messages
976
Location
WI
I'm not sure. I haven't measured my frame thickness. I'll try to get under and measure a spot. The following chart gives some steel thickness recommendations. Are you looking at home center or hardware store steel? Or working with a steel supplier. 1/8" cold-rolled steel should work fine (hot rolled would probably work ok too), or if it's in a particular spot where more strength is needed (spring perches??), you could consider 3/16". The frame steel is probably a higher allow and stronger metal than regular low carbon steel. But for everyday use, you probably won't know the difference. Or you could step up to a slightly larger thickness. A steel supplier could probably do fractional sizes slightly larger than 1/8". A steel shop might be able to cut what you need and also put a bend in 1/8". They'd charge for it, but it would save you some work and make a nice-looking and strong 90* radiused bend.

 
Last edited:

jimmy p

Well-Known Member
Messages
186
Location
detroit
I've been using 1/8" steel plate to patch rusty spots in my h3 frame. The new metal is for sure a little thicker than the factory metal I am welding it to in most spots. I would guess it is 14 Guage by itself but gets doubled up in many spots. Also inside the frame there many internal braces inside the boxed frame.
 
Top