• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Ford F150 SVT Raptor in Moab

LagunaH1

From Jalopnik.com:

http://jalopnik.com/5870354/2012-ford-f+150-svt-raptor-first-crawl

Edit: I get a kick out of reading the description of Hells Revenge.... If it's your first time in Moab I can definitely see how it is a huge experience. I will also admit I like the SVT Raptor quite a lot. Ford is definitely positioning the truck as a ready-to-wheel right off the show room floor kind of truck.

Last edited:

DJinCO

Very interesting. Sounds like the "new" Raptor have qualities well suited for Moab. I still contend that the F150 is just a bit too wide, and a bit too long of a wheelbase for many of the trails and routes in the Colorado Rockies. Sure, many of the well know and traveled routes can accommodate a pickup, but some of the "more interesting" routes that are know by numbers instead of name are narrow and best traveled by an H3.

Just MHO.

spongebobnopants

I'd like to the the carnage on that thing after Hells revenge without a spotter. The video put me to sleep. I have seen videos of people make it look like a piece of cake and others that make you want to crap your pants.

LagunaH1

Hells Revenge really isn't hard as long a you stay on the very clearly marked trails. -In my opinion at least :)

From what I read, the frame bending issue was isolated to a small group of wheelers who plain and simple ran over an obstacle much too quick. I remember reading the analysis someone had done based on video footage of a truck going over the obstacle at around 80 mph and the math was really quite interesting. If I recall correctly, they calculated that due to the height of the obstacle and the speed they were driving at, the rear axle had to travel longer than it's longest possible travel, in 0.1 second.

MuDnYrI

I really like the Raptor!!! :thumbs:
But maybe next time they film it off road they should secure the spare tire from sliding around!
1:53

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
Hell, Raptor F-150's are too long for most of the crappy trails we have in MN. Ask me how I know...

also... In April... will you guys please get a helicopter to take video of you guys crawling around? PLEASE!!

Last edited:

spongebobnopants

Hell, Raptor F-150's are too long for most of the crappy trails we have in MN. Ask me how I know...

also... In April... will you guys please get a helicopter to take video of you guys crawling around? PLEASE!!

No kidding... All the expense of a chopper and minutes of painfully slow motion. Waste of money IMO.

M22KLARS

Unsafe At Any Speed
IMG_0345.jpg

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I saw one of these raptors in the home depot parking lot, and it just seemed massive, massive in a bad way like it would be no good off road.

Sent via Tapatalk

Ron B

Did you guys see how it's an RC helicopter with some form of compact steadycam?

Way cool!

the heli's used for this type of photography are pretty cool. Some use mini gyro-stabilized heads and are quite sophisticated (and may cost as much as the Raptor!). Here's a link to one of the several co's that do it if you are interested in making an equally expensive and boring wheeling video :giggle:

http://www.skycamusa.com/gallery.shtml

LagunaH1

I saw one of these raptors in the home depot parking lot, and it just seemed massive, massive in a bad way like it would be no good off road.

Sent via Tapatalk

I read that it's track width is only a little bit wider than the H1. I wouldn't mind getting a closer look at one of these beasts off road.

Hunner

I think we need to lease one of those Bell helicopter camera platforms for the next trip to Moab. I was an aerial photog in the AF and retired as one from the state, I could handle it. Lets see, $800 an hour if we are lucky................hmm maybe a Cessna 150?:roll:

Hunner

That would also be great. I have a friend here with a large RC copter I'm working with him on a cam mount. I will check out what you listed.
I shoot industrial sites usually from a Cessna 175 with the door off if one I like is available.
I been thinking the RC route would be a good way to go.

Kurt

Hells Revenge really isn't hard as long a you stay on the very clearly marked trails. -In my opinion at least :)

From what I read, the frame bending issue was isolated to a small group of wheelers who plain and simple ran over an obstacle much too quick. I remember reading the analysis someone had done based on video footage of a truck going over the obstacle at around 80 mph and the math was really quite interesting. If I recall correctly, they calculated that due to the height of the obstacle and the speed they were driving at, the rear axle had to travel longer than it's longest possible travel, in 0.1 second.

Yeah there was a big dust up about that on one of the Ford forums, and a Ford rep came back after an investigation that it was abuse since all the incidents occurred at the same time at the same group who were traveling too fast for the terrain conditions.

It's great out of the box, but people shouldn't expect to match trophy trucks that run $150-500,000....

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I saw that. Guess those Toyota trucks can't really snow ski or drive up giant sand dunes and push stuck trucks out of the way either. Next thing you are going to tell me is that there isn't an Easter Bunny either.