• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Flares E&G Hunner Mod

Hunner

Hope this helps.
Might not be for everybody but back when I bought my shiny new 06 H3 I wanted to protect it as much as I could. I found the flares for it. I installed them with the Bridgestones and they work fairly well. Running MT/MTZ they sometimes rubbed at the top on the rear wheels. I removed them for awhile. Having now obtained a new set plus some spares, from Ridgedemon.com I decided to work on the old ones.
I have been running in thawed out mud and melting snow for days now. It might be macho to drive around with mud all over the H3 for a day or two but I have to keep mine clean so I can see all the parts. I also have to go places I would rather not have mud all over me from getting in and out. I am going to run lots of roads like that this weekend and wanted to try again. I may install the front mud flaps but I will leave the rear ones off. They sometimes hit the ground. The main purpose for me is to reduce the amount of spray on the sides. Throwing stuff out the back does not bother me.
I removed a full inch from the inner lip. That will allow room for my 315's to stuff. I also removed the bottom lip that holds mud and crud. I used a Dremel with variable speed and a small rotary rasp. I selected a speed that cut more than melted. I used a router guide attachment to control it better. Then using 60 grit paper I finished the cut edges.
DAH_9194.jpg

DAH_9210.jpg

DAH_9209.jpg

DAH_9204.jpg

DAH_9213.jpg

DAH_9212.jpg

With some spares now I may experiment with these finished moded ones after some testing until they are like I want them.
Then they would make a good start or basis on a slightly wider set. I do believe these will be fine with the stock and Hutchinson wheels and up to 315 tires.

Last edited: