• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Duramax thoughts

SuperBuickGuy

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,403
Location
Woodinville, WA
I have an H3 Alpha, I want a diesel - and I'm looking at 2008 up duramax diesels. They weight ~400 lbs more (almost double what the 5.3 weighs).


Is there enough structure in the front of an H3 to support that much more weight? I really don't want to change the IFS - but will if I have to - though that will add time and cost to the project








*as an aside, I also am looking at 4BT, and 6BT Cummins but I think I'd have emissions problems with the 4BT, and the 6BT may not fit.....


or is this just stupid? Mind you, I have already put 15k on my H3 since I bought it in September; and I would drive it a lot more if I could get its mpg out of the 13 mpg it seems stuck at getting.... and I'm not selling it, ever - I'll run it to dust so cost really isn't a huge consideration.
 

Green 1

Matty Patty Pookie Bear
Messages
1,149
Location
Ferris,Texas
400lbs on a stock H3 would be a lot. Also you did not mention transmission so what would your plans be for it. You could add springs and shocks and help but the steering components would still take a beating Offroad. Just my thoughts but it is hard to beat a Dmax. I love mine and get 17mpg in a 4wd pickup.
 

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Messages
1,997
Location
In hiding.....
I'm with Matt, what trans and where you going to put it? I really don't think it will fit, besides the trans, there is no room under the firewall for the turbo, or in the front for a much larger radiator. A good thought starter is pop the hood of a Silverado with the 5.3 and then the hood of a Silverado with a Dmax and just look at the difference. Then look how tight the 5.3L is in your H3 and imagine stuffing that Dmax under the hood.
You need to sell your Alpha to H3env and get a short bed Silverado/Sierra and lift the heck out of it for off-roading.:) Then bring it to Moab and run over some Raptors.:giggle:
 

SuperBuickGuy

Well-Known Member
Messages
3,403
Location
Woodinville, WA
I'm with Matt, what trans and where you going to put it? I really don't think it will fit, besides the trans, there is no room under the firewall for the turbo, or in the front for a much larger radiator. A good thought starter is pop the hood of a Silverado with the 5.3 and then the hood of a Silverado with a Dmax and just look at the difference. Then look how tight the 5.3L is in your H3 and imagine stuffing that Dmax under the hood.
You need to sell your Alpha to H3env and get a short bed Silverado/Sierra and lift the heck out of it for off-roading.:) Then bring it to Moab and run over some Raptors.:giggle:

see below - it does fit, quite nicely actually... but that weight - yeah, that's the issue


I had read that article; my issue with their build is they didn't make the dash work. We can do better now.

As for transmission; I'd everything, soup to nuts - engine, trans, transfer case (yeah, I'd lose 4:1, but with the torque of the diesel and 6 speed - I'm not sure I'd notice it).
 

SolidusJ

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,028
Location
FT. Carson, CO
Thing is after 2005ish if you replace an engine you must put back in what came out. Now I was a PA inspector and could be wrong for other states but just keep that in mind. You could change the title but they will want to do a full check up to make sure the job was done right.
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
Thing is after 2005ish if you replace an engine you must put back in what came out. Now I was a PA inspector and could be wrong for other states but just keep that in mind. You could change the title but they will want to do a full check up to make sure the job was done right.
It varies by state and also by counties within those states.
 
Top