• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Dual Battery Tray Alpha

jpthomso

Probationary Member
I have been searching the forums and internet. I want to put dual batteries in my H3 Alpha. Not having any luck as of yet.

JPaul

You can also put a group 31 battery in instead of dual batteries. There are pro's and con's to both routes.

Dual batteries:
Pros:
Have a dedicated battery for auxiliaries
Can jump from second battery
Looks cool

Cons:
cost (~1.5x to 2x the cost to get 2 batteries vs a single group 31, plus the additional components needed to make a decent dual battery setup)
complexity (both for setup and making sure they stay charged properly)
weight is a bit more than a single group 31 (but not a huge amount more)

Group 31:
Pros:
simple
cheaper (only one battery to buy, no supporting accessories needed)
Just as much capacity as 2 group 34's

Cons:
If you drain the battery you're out of luck unless someone can jump you or you bring a jump pack. You should probably have a jump pack regardless of what setup you choose.
May need to put it on a good charger periodically to make sure it's 100% charged (though really it's a good idea to do this no matter what setup you have if you're drawing down on the battery much by running a winch or accessories)
No "cool factor." :wink:

That being said, a dual battery setup is a good idea but personally I'd rather 2 group 31's or 1 group 31 for crank/winch and a lithium for the house/aux battery and a DC/DC charger. I'm still trying to figure out where to put a 2nd group 31 battery (since I don't have the funds for a lithium battery). However, it's up to you which way you want to go. Either is fine really and is better than the single group 86 battery.