• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Does anyone use CB radios anymore?

High Five H2

Like the title says. Is it worth installing one or is everyone using these GMRS radios now? It's kind of a hassle to install CB radios and get them set up so if people in general don't use them then I won't.

Acer4LO

The Hummer Club Inc. still requires them for their events. A lot of others have moved on to GMRS. I still have a CB in my H3.

scoreh3

I have a CB , GMRS/FRS and Ham in mine for the simple reason I like back up comm’s when Disaster hits. At least 1 of the 3 should work in any area you happen to be in. If it’s the install you are worried about, make everything temporary. Use Mobile radios for the power , cigarette lighter plug , magnet mount antennas and keep each radio in a cheep Harbor Freight Pelican Box knock off. This type of set up service 2 ( and it’s Twosday too ) purposes , one it’s easy and 2 it’s interchangeable with other vehicles if you aren’t in yours.

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
And for Moab we’ll be using GMRS instead of CB. For off-reading, it’s just simply determined by your local club or group and many are still using CB. I removed the CB from my H3

Korby7

My CB is mounted under the seat and out of the way so Ill leave it in but most people I've wheeled with have moved on to GMRS.

LagunaH1

In my opinion, there is no practical use nor need for CB anymore. GMRS is a great option, as is FRS after the rules and regulations were revised a few years ago, allowing FRS radios 2 watts of power compared to the 0.5 watts they used to be limited to. I run HAM and GMRS in my 2 rigs.

svxr8dr

I'm running both a Uniden CMX760 CB radio and a Midland MXT115 GMRS radio. GMRS gets used alot more with other individuals and group outings, while the CB is pretty much confined these days to communicating with loggers on Forest Service roads.

xman1564

I'm running both a Uniden CMX760 CB radio and a Midland MXT115 GMRS radio. GMRS gets used alot more with other individuals and group outings, while the CB is pretty much confined these days to communicating with loggers on Forest Service roads.
but thats key🤷 in an emergency their is more options