• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Dana Spicer-Select F Drive Shaft CV?

Jeepwalker

Anyone use these? What was your experience?

I recently bought one off Rock Auto ..to rebuild my old front DS ...$79. I no longer see a GM/Delco CV available, and haven't for a while. I bought a new GM driveshaft 2 yrs ago when they were avail, so my goal is to re-do my old D/S and keep as a spare (splines seem fine). The Spicer-Select unit is 'made in China' and laser-etched "Spicer Select" w/part number ..which seems like a positive thing rather than a vanilla re-boxing of a part. I'm *hoping* they have tested and put some quality control into these (which they claim in their documentation). Maybe it's even produced in their own China factory?? There's a lot of SUV's in China which I'm sure use CVs. Anyway, I just received it and haven't installed it.

Anyone have feedback ...or what ones have you tried that worked fine ..or didn't?

Thanks

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Not yet. Does it look like OEM's ?

Good question.

I put my calipers to them both. The measurements of the Spicer CV body are the same..and flange thickness is the same, etc. The metal frame of the seal (the front part) cones down and is about 1/4" smaller at the front than the original GM. IDK that that should make any difference in performance. As far as quality of components and hardness of metal ..wish I had a rockwell tester in my basement! I hope the Spicer name makes it a decent quality product. Only time will tell I guess ...if I even ever need to use a spare driveshaft.

Comparing the pictures of the other CVs I see on the internet, the $150 Dorman unit almost looks closer to the original GM. The front seal body is wider on the Dorman, like the GM. And anything that is yellow-cad plated is of higher quality as it's a bit more expensive and lasts longer (& self-healing anti-rust properties). IDK who makes the Dorman unit (??) Has anyone bought a Dorman CV? Where was it made? If it's made in Mexico or Canada, then it could be an AAM UNIT. Anyone?

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

I considred buying the Dorman, but,

1) I've had spotty luck with Dorman parts. Some have been great. Others ..could have been better. It would be nice if Dorman gave some detailed info why their unit, being 2x more expensive, ...was worth the extra $$. Then I may have bought it.

2) I felt the Spicer ..going off the Dana/Spicer name, for half the price "might" be as good...for a driveshaft I may never need. They claim they put their 'Select' parts through rigorous testing and quality control. IDK what that looks like exactly, but at least it's something. I haven't installed the Spicer unit.

3) In a perfect world, if a guy wanted to spend more $$ and get the best, THIS AAM UNIT (esp if you off-road), would be the one I'd buy.

I might not get around to installing it, till the spring. It's purely for backup, and I don't off-road much. I plan to break down the driveshaft, degrease & blast it clean (yes I know..don't blast the splines & keep same spline alignment). Put er all back together lubed & painted like brand new. Maybe I'll run it for a couple months to ensure it's good. Then put er on the shelf ....where it'll probably sit forever ha ha :D .

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

BTW, if anyone still wants to buy a top quality GM-equivalent front driveshaft, this AAM-parts unit (link below) should be pretty close or equivalent to the OEM front driveshaft. They still show them in stock at Ft. Wayne Clutch (kind of pricey though). It looks like FWC is making them up from AAM components. I think this might have been discussed in another thread a while ago. If ya have some spare change to spend, or do a lot of off-roading, big tires, it might be one to consider. Cheers! :D

Last edited:

Nikal

BTW, if anyone still wants to buy a top quality GM-equivalent front driveshaft, this AAM-parts unit (link below) should be pretty close or equivalent to the OEM front driveshaft. They still show them in stock at Ft. Wayne Clutch (kind of pricey though). It looks like FWC is making them up from AAM components. I think this might have been discussed in another thread a while ago. If ya have some spare change to spend, or do a lot of off-roading, big tires, it might be one to consider. Cheers! :D

I bought my replacement from Fort Wayne Clutch & Driveline. I think you’re talking about the tread I started. Yes they used AAM & Spicer joints on the new driveshaft.

I was very happy with their knowledge & service and would not hesitate to buy from them again. BTW one of the employees who I spoke to drives a H3 as his daily driver.