• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Clutch Safety Switch Bypass

cbetts

NERD!!!
After looking through the shop manual for my H3, I was finally able to locate a reference to the clutch ignition safety switch. (Item 1)
2013-01-18_09-56-41_128.jpg

I have wanted to perform the bypass for some time and finally got a reason to do it. I had some pre-tinned wire used for breadboarding circuits that made the perfect piece to put in the plug and secured it with a ziptie.
2013-01-18_10-07-34_539.jpg

Voila! Back in service. Keeping the old switch as a souvenir.
2013-01-18_10-07-19_23.jpg

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Might be to get starter crawl? Allows you to crawl the vehicle very slightly, each time you hit turn the key to engine start. Can also be used if the vehicle is stalled in deep water. This allows you to crawl out of the water if the engine won't start.

But not sure why cbetts is doing it.

cbetts

NERD!!!
I had the thought of using it as a starter crawl but the starter stays engaged until the engine starts. My main reason is to get it running again once the switch failed to operate normally.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Interesting. It won't work on the H3! I used to use it on my old Heep....

That is the price of a modern ignition system. I am sure there is a way to get it to work like an old school starter but I am done. I drove a big rig long enough to know to not start the truck in gear. Although, I have gotten myself out of several jambs learning how to do this when I had broke my clutch cable in the past.

Scarsman

Sponsor
You could always just turn the key back off.

I've done the start in gear thing before when a clutch linkage broke or hydro clutch failed.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

MaxPF

AGNTSA
When you're wheeling and you stall on an obstacle, being able to restart in gear can be a precious commodity. Also, having to push in the clutch to start is a nannyism - if you can't remember to put the shifter in neutral before you start you need to get an automatic like all the other weenies :p . I have disabled this on every manual trans vehicle I have ever owned.

Steve #1

I had the thought of using it as a starter crawl but the starter stays engaged until the engine starts. My main reason is to get it running again once the switch failed to operate normally.

I have mine bypassed with a relay for the remote start and had considered adding a switch. If I'm not mistaken I did jump it before wiring in the relay to make sure the break would hold the truck against the starter and don't recall it continuing to try to start. It has been a few years. Have you tried it to see what it does?