• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

CHO shutdown

JPaul

Seems the Club Hummer Offroad site (clubhummeroffroad.com) is no longer up, thought I'd check in on it today and discovered it's offline and there isn't even any DNS for it anymore. If someone wanted to they could register the domain and setup a redirect to H4O instead. :)

Their Facebook group page is private and only gets maybe 1-3 posts a month on it. Found the announcement back in December that they were shutting down the forum. Guess the admins didn't want to put the effort into trying to upgrade the forum software (which they should have been doing years ago) and it was just too much trouble with all the security holes that were letting in spam and viruses/malware.

Too bad, there was still some good info on that site if you could get to it without the site hosing your computer.

Seems like H4O is one of the last remaining active Hummer forums.

HXC hasn't had any posts since 2019, Elcova hasn't had any real discussions since pre 2020 as well, CHO is totally shutdown now, hummernetworkforums.com seems to have a little activity under the H1 and H2 sections but you have to login to view anything and there's not been any new activity in the H3 section for over a year.

Only other forum that seems actually active still is hummerforums.com.

All those posts, gone. Like tears in the rain.

Korby7

Definitely valuable information lost but I never posted there for reasons already mentioned. I prefer the H4O vibe. Hope it’s around a long, LONG time.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
There were many great members over there. It's a shame things happened the way they did. But since then, running a forum is a pretty bad "business" to be in. Software development of forums is limited. Things like our Garage are orphaned products long ago abandoned by their creators. Same with the Arcade that we used to have. Our best bet for longevity might be to move to a new software platform like Xenforo but that would not be easy. For one, we'd lose the Garage but maybe a new one could be started. I dunno, I haven't looked at it in a while. I'm not a software guy so I'd have to hire some freelancers to do the work.

Pre-Facebook, owners could make some money off forums. I guess you still can if you saddle the site with ads but that ruins the experience, in my opinion. This place was never been designed to be a profit center. H4O was designed to be a haven from the negativity that occupies so many forums. The sad irony is that while we achieved that goal our genesis derived from a bad situation. I've always regretted that beginning.

I appreciate all of you that spend time on the forum, whether you sign up or not, and whether you post or not. If you're reading this, you must be finding some value with H4O and that's exactly why we want to be here.

Alex

Panzer07

I love it here.. this was my 1st home when I got panzer back in 2011 didn't know there was beef until now...but I always felt and still feel welcome here...unfortunately not as active as I once was...but I'm still here annoying every once in a while.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Oh man, that brings back some memories of our CHOMOS. [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

rascole

The evolution of tech. CRAZY timeline. 30 years ago, what is the world wide web? 20 years go, what are "forums"? 10 years ago, where is Hummer? 5 years ago, gas in Comifornia was less than $3.00. I have made some great off road friends from H4O and the FB scene. Like minded people will always find a way to meet and beat their rigs. LOL I am sure H4O will meet it's demise in the near future, not a bad thing, just a product of evolution. Alex will have to retire in a few 10 years.

Real4WD

It doesn't surprise me that CHO died. A few of their members were pretty toxic, and that ruined the forum for me. There's a reason I reproduced all my build threads on this forum....it's the only one left alive! Hopefully it sticks around for a while longer. I am not a huge fan of Facebook anymore. Seems like people ask the same questions over and over; or they are just joining to sell their vehicle...not create a community.

H3Hummer

I'm not surprised, i was also member for many many years and they kicked me off without reason, without sending me just a mail or message to know WHY???
I never had answer. I'm glad to be a part of H4O now.:dance

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I’m not the young guy anymore. I can say I was around for that CHO drama back in the day! It was 10-12 years ago now right?!? Time flies....

Zach

Mall Crawler
Haven’t even looked at it since H4O was created. Plus I got banned from CHO for talking **** to James and Stan. No big loss.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
We all got banned from CHO by the poodle boy. Don't miss that place and it's East coast cross dressers. [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Mr_Rich

Gads. I'm pleased this forum still lives. I bought my 3T as a retirement gift to myself thirteen years ago. I owned it for eleven years and 120K miles. I wish I still had it but I had other needs when Covid became a thing of concern. I learned my 3T wound up in SLC somewhere after it was sold so some of you might come across a boulder gray 3T on your travels that direction.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Mr. Rich, I remember you and your T very well. Sorry you had let it go but glad you are still here with us.

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ha, poor CHO. Hearing that name almost triggers my PTSD. :)

I keep seeing a White H2 for sale that is almost an exact clone of Stan's H2 he lost in the divorce.

So glad we are still kicking over here.

I do not post much but I am on here every day reading the latest.

Zach

Mall Crawler
The submarine? I wouldn’t buy that truck for a dollar.

I don’t know his ex, but, I think I like her