• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

CB install question

digglesworth

So I'm ready to get my cb hooked up along with the new head unit... I got a gmos-04 adapter for the head unit.... The cb has 3 wires off the back.... Constant 12v, switched 12v and the ground.... I'd like the cb to operate like the head unit. Stay on for a few minutes with car off and shut off when the doors are opened.... Can I just hook the switched 12v from the cb to the switched 12v of the radio and they'll operate in unison? Should I connect the cb before or after the gmos-04 adapter?

SolidusJ

So I'm ready to get my cb hooked up along with the new head unit... I got a gmos-04 adapter for the head unit.... The cb has 3 wires off the back.... Constant 12v, switched 12v and the ground.... I'd like the cb to operate like the head unit. Stay on for a few minutes with car off and shut off when the doors are opened.... Can I just hook the switched 12v from the cb to the switched 12v of the radio and they'll operate in unison? Should I connect the cb before or after the gmos-04 adapter?

Why not to your battery or the lighter jack? Then even after you turn off the 3 the CB will keep it's power. Yes you can run this set up if you want just find the power wire to the radio and it will work, my bully dog is set up this way. You may want to look into a Noise Suppressor is you run the power from the radio.

digglesworth

The lighter jack is where I was thinking for the constant 12v.... But I was unsure for the switched 12v (acc 12v).... Will I have to make sure the radio is off all the time? It won't turn off on its own since it has a constant 12v supply to it? What's the purpose of a constant and a switched 12v....?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
If you use a constant 12v source you would have to manually turn off the radio. I've gone both routes on the CB - constant and switched power - and found that I vastly prefer the constant power. It's amazing how many times you would like to have your CB working when your truck is shut off, like when the group behind you is stopped a half mile back for a repair. The CB won't draw much power and I've left it on overnight with no ill effects.

You can get that 12v power a few different places - 12v outlets (tapping into the wires behind the dash panel), direct to the battery, Add-A-Fuse to the fuse box, Blue Sea Fuse block. It might be a good time to plan for the future and set up a central system for adding 12v power for multiple items: cb, lights, aftermarket lockers, sirens, ejection seats, etc. http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Circuit-Ground/dp/B000THQ0CQ/ref=pd_sbs_auto_2

I have this mounted on the firewall with one heavier gauge wire to the battery, and one to a ground, and then the power/ground wires for each accessory run to this block. It's greatly cleaned up my wiring and now I don't have a bunch of wires going to the battery.

And, since you have an 06 you likely have the lousy battery connectors too. It's good to upgrade them and if doing an install like this a connector like this one is a good way to go: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KIV23Q/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (There are lots of options and opinions on these connectors; this is the one I went with). This allows you to easily add accessory wires to the terminal without having to use the tightening screw like is required on the 06 and early 07 battery terminals.

digglesworth

There's 3 wires coming out of the back of the CB... Red, orange and black... The black is ground.... The red and the orange both have in-line fuses... One says to go to constant power and the other one says to go to switched power. I didn't see anywhere that said hook one up but not the other.... I like the idea of adding that power block.... I will definitely look into that...

cbetts

NERD!!!
I ran a relay off my GMOS-4 and brought in a wire from the the battery to run multiple things. This allows me to run a few things without overloading the radio adapter.

cbetts

NERD!!!
See if this helps:
schemeit-project.jpg

digglesworth

My gmos-04 and head unit should be at my house when I get off work. I'll have to look at all the instructions and look at the back of the radio.... Does the harness that plugs into the back of the stock radio simply plug into the gmos-04 and the new harness for the new radio wire in to the other side?

skeptic

I want to see someone install a single din head unit along with a small front speaker CB where the stock stereo is. I've seen this before on other vehicles but never on a 3. It's on my "eventually" list, but if someone else did it first and worked out the gotchas, what faceplate fits, etc.. :)