• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Broken windshield

Roastbeast

Anyone do a replacement? Tonight on way home huge crack right across dead middle. Not sure if I just take it somewhere for repair or do it myself

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I've alway had insurance take care of it, but we also have $0 deductible glass coverage in AZ

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Jeepwalker

It's worth a call, a glass shop may be able to fix it. Or at least price it to you both ways.

I've replaced several windshields over the years in a number of different vehicles at a bodyshop I worked at ..and certain auto restorations I've done. It's not rocket science ...and I'm sure there are some videos how to do it. But there are a few key 'tricks' one should be aware of to not screw it up. The clean-up part is easy, but the glass should 'sit' a certain distance from the surface per mfgr specs, especially when trim is involved ..or it'll look like crap. If you haven't done one it's going to take you 3x longer than a glass installer and you'll need to buy a removal tool (or two or three possibly), the adhesive and a primer/solvent ..and I don't know if you need a new gasket for this windshield (I think so). Sometimes you don't know what removal tool you'll need till you get into the job depending if it's been replaced and what ya run into. Old school braided wire seems to always work the best in my experience, but I've had a few that were a real SOB to get out and took a lot of time and swearing ...and others that came out in about 5 minutes.

By the time ya buy the stuff ...and figure your time, yer not saving any time or money. For the little they charge to install, it's hard to suggest a good reason for doing it yourself unless you 'just want to'. Even bodyshops nowadays usually hire it done too. An added level of difficulty you might run into on your H3 is the height. Glass installers will have a stand to work on and either a helper or helper-arm to guide the new glass onto the vehicle. This time of year they might want you to bring it to their shop where it can sit in warmer temps till the adhesive crosslinks.

Where it sometimes makes sense to do it yourself is when a guy has the windshield out already for a repair of some sort, or restoration (sandblasting or metal-repair around a rusty windshield frame). Then, when yer ready, drop in a new piece of glass. The argument against it is the windshield is part of the structural integrity of a vehicle and there could be potential liability (as well as safety) rammifications if not done properly by a 'professional'. That's why most bodyshops hire it out -- avoid liability.

Sorry to hear about the crack. Good luck anyway

Last edited:

deserth3

Call around and get some quotes. My insurance allows 2 windshields a year with $100 deductable.
Also place I went warranted the windshield for a year. All I had to pay for was install. Came in handy the year I went through 4 windshields.
But that was in Utah.
The h3 windshield is a rock magnet. I must have gone through 20 windshields over the 11 years I had my 06.

Sent from my motorola one zoom using Tapatalk

ConcealedGLOCK

Call around and get some quotes. My insurance allows 2 windshields a year with $100 deductable.
Also place I went warranted the windshield for a year. All I had to pay for was install. Came in handy the year I went through 4 windshields.
But that was in Utah.

The h3 windshield is a rock magnet. I must have gone through 20 windshields over the 11 years I had my 06.

Sent from my motorola one zoom using Tapatalk

What location did your windshield? I’d like to take mine to someone that’s familiar with the h3. I remember reading about the h3 windshield having a weak point that may break if they don’t know how to correctly remove it. Also from
Utah.

deserth3

What location did your windshield? I’d like to take mine to someone that’s familiar with the h3. I remember reading about the h3 windshield having a weak point that may break if they don’t know how to correctly remove it. Also from
Utah.

It's been a couple of years. But here's where I went. It's just outside the West gate for Hill AFB.
[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Techna Glass
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]665 N Main St, Clearfield, UT 84015

[/FONT]

Last edited:

Korby7

I’ve heard glass shops are pretty good at breaking the trim panels so I took all of mine off beforehand when I had mine done on my ‘06.

Jeepwalker

I didn't bring this up before, but if you take it somewhere make sure they don't goof up the front of the headliner. I had one job where a careless tech totally screwed up the front of the headliner ....made cuts and divits with the braided wire.