• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Are parts that hard to get?

Jeeper360

WOW i just tried to find a bed cover for a H3T and no hard covers. that was just after looking for real lift kit. and the front rotors are special for H3s? i thought it would be shared with something like the Colorado.

what am i getting myself into? now to go find i can't get more stuff

Jeepwalker

There are a lot of replacement parts available. But a lot no longer are. They never had the aftermarket support Toyota FJ's had ..or Jeeps. Not even close. I've had a lot of people say, "Wow, a hummer, I'd like to get one of those!", and I caution them that they can be expensive vehicles to own. Esp if a person relies on a shop to do repairs. Definitely not for the faint of wallet. There's one in our town and I see it up at the local repair shop all the time. It's only a matter of time before the owner gets tired of putting $$ into it.

I've had to go through and replace more things on my H3 than any other vehicle I own. Part of that was deferred maintenance from the PO (due to cost of ownership I'm sure). But it's been very reliable for the last couple years after I went through things. Now at 190k, I'm getting ready to yank the engine and re-do that (repl engines no longer avail). But I love it and I'm in it for the long haul. To me it's a labor of love. That's how you have to look at it. For owners who get figitey from spending x, y & z money on repairs and look at it like an investment, it'll be a killer. A new Bronco might offer more peace of mind.

If you can do your own maintenance, most or all of the common failure items are available. A few items might need to come from ebay (used) every once in a while. For the most part, I haven't had problems finding parts. But aftermarket items are more rare. And BTW, not a whole lot of these are related to the Colorado. I think it was 15% and most of that was from the firewall forward.

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
It's been a bit of an ebb and flow over the past few years and right now it's getting hard to get some of the less common parts. As for the rotors, the AC Delco and many others are available on rockauto.com. You do need to look for H3 parts and not Colorado parts. While they share some things it's not necessarily a lot of parts.

Recently I was able to get GM/ AC Delco side mirrors, steering rack and a diff housing but was not able to get an OEM power steering pump. As for accessories like bed covers, I doubt that anyone would be continuing production of those parts 12 years after production ended of what was essentially a limited run vehicle. You may need to take measurements and compare to other vehicles to see if anything can be adapted.

650Hawk

Yup, contrary to popular belief, there is very little (aside from the 3.5/3.7 engine) that carries over from the Colorado to the H3. Little known fact; the reason that the H3 is the only Hummer with wide fenders? It was built on the old Colorado assembly line, which was was too narrow for the H3. Therefore, they had to add wide fenders (this info came from the Hummer H3 Launch book: https://www.amazon.com/Hummer-Launch-book-Larry-Edsall/dp/0760321957; a hard copy book devoted to the H3 and all of the hows/whys of our beloved H3's). BTW, Arnold Schwarzenegger had a significant part in the final design/shape of those fenders!!!!

Last edited:

Alpha X

WOW i just tried to find a bed cover for a H3T and no hard covers.

You have options for a hard bed cover. It might require a little creativity for mounting, but it's not hard to make something work. Are you looking for a hard folding cover, like a Tri-Fold, or an aluminum cover like a Diamondback, or a one piece fiberglass?

Jeepwalker

That's a good book worth owning ...if you're into H3's. Check ebay and Amazon 'used' ..should be plenty of copies.

650Hawk

The book is a really great read if you're into these vehicles. The only downside is the fact that it was written/published before the Alpha came out, although there are a few "mentions" of a more powerful model to come. Another fun fact: GM actually had a team whose job it was to go out and intentionally break the prototypes, to find weaknesses. Sign me up for that kind of a job!!!

Last edited: